Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Double bass - Drum Solo Artist

April 13, 2021, 09:04:50 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Double bass  (Read 15455 times)
dmdubs22

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:43:16 PM »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum.  I'm in a metal band and one of the coolest things about a lot of metal bands is the awesomely fast and powerful double bass licks.  I can play some decently fast speeds but not up to par with how I want.  I often find myself losing stamina pretty quickly as well.  Does anybody have any good tips or exercises for how I can improve this and become faster?...Oh and one more question.  It seems like a lot of the drummers that play these faster, grueling beats are just like normal people you see on the street.  A lot of really skinny guys play really fast, seemingly tiring beats.  I wonder if one of the reasons I am becoming so tired while playing is a result of poor technique or overusage of muscles?  Does anybody else have issues like this with stamina?  lol thanks guys.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 05:02:37 AM »

Its just practice. If you run everyday, u'll find you'll be able to run further and faster each day. (im not saying that running will improve your double bass skills, it was just an example Smiley )

Heres an idea:
You know those step meaters? the things you clip to you to see how many steps you take while walking? Strap one of them to your Bass drum head. Then do single strokes to a metronome, and keep going till you feel you cant go on any more.

Do the same the next day, to the same BPM on your metronome, and see how many you can do.
Keep doing it every day, and keep aiming to go on for further each time. Set yourself targets. eg. To got to 1000 hits at 60 BPM by the end of the week.

Then once in a while change the rudiment your doing, but keep note of how well you did on the last rudiment. Keep a table or something, so its easy to compare your best speeds and number of hits.  

You will be improving, and more importantly, you'll see yourself improve.

Good luck
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 12:11:49 PM »

acctully, screw the walking counting thing....if your going with a metronome, you can just time yourself lol.
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 04:58:31 PM »

Heres a tip on how to do a fast double kick with one foot:

When u have to do a fast double kick but u don't have a double bassdrum pedal just  kick with your toes as far back on the pedal as u can and on the second kick farther up.

I find it works well with some practice.Cheesy

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Tom

Hey Ho! LETS GO!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 04:01:51 PM »

im one of those drummers never to have been taught by a proper teacher but just improvised on my own.

i use one heel up kick on the bass pedal then a heel down kick and i get a nice double

iamanidiot32180

iamanidiot32180

KAEOLYN

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 11:45:39 AM »

i never was taught anything about drums... i just found that if you have fast feet ( i was on my schools track team for a little while)  you get fast kicks. i can get a good double hit with one foot, i am pretty darn fast (slipknot covers arent that hard anymore.) and it does get tiring, try thinking about something else to get your mind off of the fact that your tired (mind over matter), just dont lose the tempo. it takes practice.  also, when you get going, adrenaline helps too, i notice that when you get a lot of people all hyped up that the band gets that much more energetic.  you get caught up in the momentum and can go on for quite a while.
MRSMASH

ba-dom-dom tsshhhh

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 03:24:30 PM »

I find heels down takes less energy but its alot harder to do fast then heels up :S the whole concept of double bass threw me off for a while and I couldn't play alot of the things i wanted to. So i practiced everyday for a month straight starting with a warm where i did heels up all the way at the bottom of the pedal I found after doing this for a while my strength and speed were up.. now I can play any lamb of god song no problem  Grin... so basicly... all Im saying is PRACTICE  Cheesy it'll come

"If you understand the brick, You understand the wall"-Terry bozzio
llik_dog_Okay

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »

I've been playing for two years and the fastest i can go is 647 bpm for about 2 minutes striaght. The key to work on is to focus on having your heels on the ground while playing as fast as you can. That my work out on endurance and speed. Some great inspiring bands are Quo Vadis, Fear factory, and Dimmu Borgir. Newer stuff like sinai beach and between the buried and me is great too. keep on practicing
drummer-4-1

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 01:46:19 PM »

u said somtin about losing ballence and stamina, i herd that if u put a peice of like 1/2 inch ply wood, about a foot around under the back leg of ur drum throne, it will straitghen out ur back, and help with ballence
-drummer-4-1
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 02:10:17 PM »

u said somtin about losing ballence and stamina, i herd that if u put a peice of like 1/2 inch ply wood, about a foot around under the back leg of ur drum throne, it will straitghen out ur back, and help with ballence
-drummer-4-1
Nice bit of advice, thanks
drum_wizard

Power of the drum!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 10:00:48 PM »

Double bassing is extremely hard to get used to.... some things that help are getting a second bass drum and two individual pedals, getting smaller beaters if you dont already have them, stretching your legs before you play drums, using different techniques (ie. Heel/toe technique, swivel technique), getting drum triggers (which most of the very fast double kick players have) and sitting up straight and experimenting with the distance between the beater and the head and pedal tension.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: