Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Transporting hardware - Drum Solo Artist

July 05, 2020, 05:19:29 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Transporting hardware  (Read 9617 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: April 13, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »

For several years I have transported my road kit hardware; except for my double beater bass drum pedals, in a large SKB Rollaway case.  Even though I use medium weight hardare now and even reduced the bulk over the past several years; the current weight has still been about 92 lbs.  This past year I recovered from four shoulder surgeries and I have been trying to take it easy whenever I do my own cartage.  Huh

For the small venue gigs around stown I use my Yamaha Oak kit.  It’s very compact because the 13" FT, 10" & 8" rack toms and the 4" x 13" snare pack into one XL Protechtor case with wheels.  The hardware is in a smaller SKB rollaway, then I have a cymbal bag and 18” bass drum.  That’s the load, so there is no strain or concern when transporting this gear myself  Cheesy

But the kit I typically use for large venues and show dates has more components and hardware.  Transporting it is doable, but not what I consider easy.  Now although I can still lift the SKB hardware case into a vehicle, I have made a decision to stop doing that lest I stumble, slip, or have some other mishap that causes me to re-injure myself.  I had a bad experience last week, and although I did not hurt myself…..it was truly a wake up call for me.  I was simply lucky and I really don’t want to go through any more surgeries.  Shocked

What I have done is a very simple solution.  I have divided the hardware load into two cases.
Now, I did have the one large SKB hardware rollaway case and the double pedal case which was two cases.  However, one was light and the other was extremely heavy to load. 

I now have the 16” x 50” SKB case loaded with drum kit stands and drum attachments only.  Another smaller 32” Humes and Berg rollaway has the drum rug, double pedal, music stand, sticks bag, 2 microphone stands that I customized for my use, a small emergency kit and the stage book.  So now I have two cases weighing in at 60 lbs, and 30 lbs.  For me that’s a much more manageable situation when I have to do my own transport or even just get it to the bus, etc.   Cool

This may or may not be a post that provides you any food for thought, but I thought it was worth sharing……especially for
any of you who are trying to prevent re-injury.
 Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
JKL1970

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:42:59 PM »

It's definitely times like this when you look at the guitarist with a little bit of envy....
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 02:53:56 AM »

I believe the trick to doing my own cartage is that no case needs to weight more 60 lbs. in order for me to lift it up.....by myself.....and put it into my truck.  Doing a dead lift with my arms and back does not need to be any strain at all.  60 lbs.  seems to be the spot where my comfort zone ends.   Cool

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Ian_Borg

Ian_Borg

Ian Borg in 5 minutes

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:21:42 PM »

Hi Everyone
The SKB's are beautiful cases, but I don't gig nearly as much as Ken does, so I can't justify the relative high cost. However, like Ken I have a rather large drum set by today's standards (8 pc. w/ about 8 cymbals), and as few pieces of hardware as I can get away with to support it all. At first I used to simply pile all the hardware into the back of the car. Then I switched to a large duffel bag (think Hockey equipment bag), but the weight was ridiculous. I was always worried about serious back or shoulder injuries not only while putting it in the vehicle, but while carrying it from there to the stage. I've solved this for the moment by going with two smaller duffle bags ($25.00 each from the hated Wal-Mart), If you're careful, and personally doing the loading and transporting, it's a practical, economical way to go. I load them so that one bag has all the hardware from the right side, and the other holds the left side stuff, thereby speeding up setup time compared to having one big pile of assorted tubes and clamps. Each bag is only 45-50 lbs. I have a separate hard case for my bass pedal, and two cymbal bags to keep the weight down on those, too.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:48:51 PM »

Good strategy.  None of us want to hurt ourselves transporting hardware.  Looks like you have found a method that works well for you too.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
oneolddrummer

oneolddrummer

Cancer Sucks!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 08:50:07 PM »

Ken, I feel for you with the shoulders!  I have dislocated both of mine, and broke the left one twice, and did an A/C separation and tore some ligaments.  (Yeah, I am a slow learner!)  I am just a little weekend warrior, so I just pack up everything in single hard cases, my 14x22 kick, 5.5x14 snare, 8x12 tom, 9x13 tom, 16x16 tom, and 20x20 tom.  Then I have 5 cymbals and the hat, all fit in one 22" case.  My tom legs (7 4 on the 20, 3 on the 16), double bass pedal, stick bag, bass drum mic holder (fits in the old cymbal mount, and curves around to bring the mic in front of the drum) and the kick drum double tom mount (custom made in my shop) all fit into my drum throne which is white pearl to match the kit.  Then all my stands get tossed along side the hard cases in the back of my Magnum, along with a small fan that I have to help keep me cool (I am like a little, well 6'5" 250 pound little, furnace!).  Again, I just do this once in a while, our ban d is hoping to get to be a house band somewhere, but then I would need another kit, not playing at least an hour a day would really bother me!

Cancer Sucks!
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »

That's a systematic packing system.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print