Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

question i need advise for a purchase - Drum Solo Artist

November 17, 2019, 07:58:35 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: question i need advise for a purchase  (Read 4280 times)
beerpatrol

View Forum Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:32:59 AM »

iam contemplating buying the  Pearl Pearl FZ 8-Piece Double-Bass Drum Set for about 1000.00 anyone have any advise or recommendation
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »

The Pearl drums student-line drums you have mentioned have 100% poplar shells, which isn't particularly enticing sound-wise.  Tuning-wise, the craftsmanship and bearing edges won't be as meticulous as some other medium line drums. I am not trashing this line but I wanted you to realize why the price is so cheap.

You would need to be careful not to cross-thread the tuning rods, and careful that you don’t warp the hoops with uneven head tensions. The hardware with these drums is okay and with care, should work fine. The heads are not up the quality standards that you would see as a factory-install on medium line and high end drum lines. You would, most likely then, have the additional expense of replacing the heads.

Finally, should you ever decide to trade up to a better kit these drums won't hold their value. On the other hand, the marketing strategy with kits like this is that you do get a lot of drums for a relatively cheap price.

In my opinion, the best value on the market medium-price drum market right now is the Yamaha Stage Custom birch shell drums.  These drums were used on 7 of the 10 stages at the New Orleans Jazz Festival. They provide a good sound and they have a compelling price-point.

Factors that I recommend anyone to consider are:
•   Quality for Price
•   Craftsmanship
•   Sound characteristics
•   Response and performance
•   Tuning ease
•   The availability of add-on drums.

My advice would be to buy something in a better quality range than the Pearl FZ series drums and then add on other drums as you can afford to do that.

However, your budget, and how badly you want a two bass drum kit right now, are factors that only you can determine.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: