Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

cymbals - Drum Solo Artist

May 27, 2019, 06:15:16 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Poll
Question: are the zbt rock power cymbals from zildjan worth purchasing?
Zildjan cymbals - 0 (0%)
any other manufacturers - 1 (100%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: cymbals  (Read 7822 times)
kevinmick

View Forum Profile
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:35:57 AM »

I am looking to purchase new cymbals and I was wondering if anyone new if the zbt rock power cymbals were any good? If anyone has any recomendations I would love to hear it.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:13:04 PM »

Actually, used pro-line" cymbals purchased from a pro drum shop would be a much wiser investment.  Those used cymbals also have good "trade-in" value should you decide to purchase other cymbals in the future. 

Student line cymbals are just not going to sound very good to you (when compared to recordings and/or live concert sounds), no matter what brand you buy. The cheaper alloy, the machined metal manufacturing process, and less-than-desireable sound are the reasons for the low price.  Additionally, should you choose to eventually purchase better cymbals, the student line cymbals don't have great re-sale or trade-in value.

Here's a blog for you to read before you buy cymbals.

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/blog/view/id_71/title_selecting-cymbals-101/

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
kevinmick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:57 AM »

Thanks Ken, it is hard to narrow down the search since there is so much too choose from. I am in Atlantic Canada and the selection isn't as great as it is in a larger centre. The other issue is money of course but I would like to enjoy the sound of my cymbals rather than the trash can sound I get from my Sabian Solar cymbals. I shudder everytime I hit the ride cymbal.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:48 AM »

Give me an idea of the musical styles and volume levels you will be playing.  From that, I'll offer you some recommendations.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
kevinmick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 10:53:54 AM »

Hi Ken, I sure appreciate your help. I have recently started playing again after a twenty year break and am enjoying playing again. I play 60's, 70's and 80's rock.  I have to admit I want to start learning some swing music as well.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »

The best sounding "semi-pro" cymbals on the market, in my opinion  Wink, are the Paiste Alpha line models.  I don't think the competition comes close in terms of quality or sound.

You can go to the Paiste website and review the various specs and models, and ALSO listen to (I recommend that you use good hearphones) sound/stroke samples too.  Grin

http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbalsoverv.php?family=10&action=family

Specifically check out the Alpha:
14" Sound Edge Hi Hats
16" Thin Crash
18" Medium Crash
20"  Full Ride

That would be a set-up that would cover a wide range of musical genres for you.  Cool

If you have an opportunity to visit a professional drum shop,  I am almost certain you could pick out some good quality used cymbals that sounded good to you.

If you are ordering on-line, then you can certainly understand how valuable the Paiste sound samples feature can be in selecting your desired cymbals.

Let us know what you finally purchase.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 06:03:07 PM »

Are you in Fredericton, capital of the Canadian province of New Brunswick?

If so, then maybe you can give us the latest on the Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival, your indie rock scene, and other musical activities in your area.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: