Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Any cymbal set you want.... - Drum Solo Artist

March 23, 2019, 04:46:03 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Any cymbal set you want....  (Read 10818 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »

If you could have any cymbal configuration you wanted……..what would that be?  I believe the results will be interesting for all of us.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:19:50 PM »

Wow, Ken, that's a good one.  And one that I'm going to have to think intensely about, take notes, and get back with you.

But I can't go without saying, I think the radical variations that Carter produces in cym sounds, I gotta say that I would settle for what he's got.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:02 PM »

Replicating Carter's set-up will certainly require a lot of cymbal mounts... Grin

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Magma1261

Magma1261

Magma12

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:48:16 PM »

Sabian xs20 super cymbal pack, Sabian AAX performance pack.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »

Pretty cool.  I'd like access to the Paiste vault for a day.  I'd love to select a cymbal set from their protypes. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »

I am trying two new Paiste cymbal set-ups with the idea of using one cymbal series.  Although I do like to mix cymbal series models when I need a variety of sounds, I was curious about setting certain tonal moods using one series. 

I am trying this set-up for funky electric jazz:
13" Signature Dark Energy Mk I Hi Hats
17" and 19" Signature Dark Energy MKk I Crashes
21" Signature Dark Energy Mk II Ride

I am trying this set-up for traditional jazz:
13" Signature Traditional Light Hi Hats
15" and 17" Signature Traditional Thin Crashes
20" Signature Traditional Light Ride
20" Signature Traditional Medium Light Swish

It has been an intersting experiement and overall.... I'd compare it to "tone consistency" of using the same kind of drum heads on all of your toms.

It won't be something I can do for all of my various work situations, but for those mentioned above it does accomplish the consistent "tonal mood" scenario.  Choices, choices  Roll Eyes

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 05:24:07 PM »

I have spent a lot of time at the cymbal trees.  I just want to add that when I make a final decision on a cym, one of the most important things I listen for is the piece's sustain.  Not necessarily the longest sustain, per say, I think sustain time needs to be coordinated with "How long do I want to hear than ping, bell, or crash.
IL_DUCE

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:19:32 PM »

That was a good question. I really like Diril Ice series Cymbals. IMO these are some of the best Cymbals made today. The Ice series is actually just the "D" series with a brilliant finish. Their crashes are absolute killer. I'd also incorporate at least one Wuhan China and one or two Silken China's. I say to all of you Check out Silken's Sebring series china's easily as good if not Superior to anything the BIG3 put out. Silken makes great stuff all round, Their China's are killer. I probably would use a Silken Sebring 20" ride in my set up also. I can't forget some of my favorite splashes available today. I'd use the 8", 10", and 12" Wuhan New Traditional series splashes. I don't care what anyone says or their price These are excellent splashes performing way way above their cost factor or entry level designation.     T.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »

For any of you who might be interested.  My ONE SERIES experiments were interesting, and actually not disappointing all things considered.  It's a concept that is maybe just not as "practical" for my always varying work situations.

After a few weeks of trying to work venues with only one particular cymbal model  series, I went back to my old mix and match the series as needed method.  Nothing was actually wrong with using cymbals from only one model series, but it wasn't as "right" feeling as it could have been.  Cheesy

I basically just pickout whatever is going to work best for a particular gig or show...or venue.  That's work best for years and I can't fault the logic.  Roll Eyes

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »

I'm searching for more vintage Zildjians to choose from.  I know I'll eventually add to my present compliment of brass.  Right now, I want to add a 14" thin crash, an 8" splash, and a heavy 18" rideable crash.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »

Good luck with your quest for these cymbals.  If you are defining vintage Zildjians as those from the 50's or earler, then the 14" Thin Crash may be difficult one to find.  Today's "Paper Thin" would be an equivalent weight to "Thin" weight of the 50's.

If you look at cymbals from the 70's and 80's for possibilities, you may find something in good shape that still has the sound characteritics you are wanting.

Have fun in your quest and let us know what you find.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:17:45 PM »

My 22" ride, 18" med crash, 16" med crash and 14" left side hats are all early 70s...so I'll try to keep in that tradition.

I'm not dissing any other brands though.  There are a lot of great cyms out there, but my kit is vintage and that is just one of my eccentricities.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »

I believe you should be able to find some nice 70-ish Avedis models to fit in with those you already have.  Have fun searching for those "just perfect" additions to your stash.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: