Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

cant hold on - Drum Solo Artist

April 16, 2021, 12:50:50 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: cant hold on  (Read 21556 times)
speed_demon

pick, sticks and drum..dont get strings and strum

View Forum Profile
« on: March 20, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »

i dont know why.......but i was droppin my sticks one day a lot for some reason and my teacher suggested drilling holes in the bottom of the sticks and then tying string to it and your wrist....with some slack so it doesnt get in your way......has anyone tried that....and does it work.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 01:45:53 PM »

Hmmm.... I would suggest practicing instead, exercise your arms to strengthen them up. 8-)
speed_demon

pick, sticks and drum..dont get strings and strum

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 07:49:40 AM »

well i agree that practicing helps no matter what......but its mostly when i try to do somthing quote ''Fancy"" (teacher).......is when i drop them.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 01:22:31 PM »

hehe...ive never thought of that. Nice idea, but its only gonna stop the sticks from flying about the place, rather than stopping them from slipping out your hands, i imagine. Also, it will get restrictive if you want to turn the stick round to do something like a rimshot.

You can exercise your hands like Pasha said, or get grip tape for the sticks. You can also get sticks that already have grip on them. I use the Zildjian Dips because they are dipped in a rubbery like stuff. I can definetly feel the difference when i move on to ungripped sticks.

I think you can also get a wax to rub on your sticks.

Remember that its not such a bad thing that your dropping your sticks. It shows that you arnt gripping them too tightly. Its important to be as loose as possible in your grip, but still be in control of the stick.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »

If you loosing sticks while playing, one of the best and at the same time useful exercises would be to spin the sticks while playing - start from spinning the stick on every 4 hits, and not a very fast tempo (around 120 bpm) than graduate to every 2 hits, than raise the tempo. (exercise that with both arms of course) Wink
iamanidiot32180

iamanidiot32180

KAEOLYN

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:31:47 AM »

i wrap the butt of the stick with electric tape as a grip and then go around extra at the bottom so its even thicker at the base so i have that extra edge to hold on to if i start to lose the stick.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 01:42:14 PM »

i wrap the butt of the stick with electric tape as a grip and then go around extra at the bottom so its even thicker at the base so i have that extra edge to hold on to if i start to lose the stick.

Thats a really class idea! I like that a lot!....Thanks  Smiley
_godfather_

Buddy Rich vs Wolverine

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:30:55 PM »

i dont know why.......but i was droppin my sticks one day a lot for some reason and my teacher suggested drilling holes in the bottom of the sticks and then tying string to it and your wrist....with some slack so it doesnt get in your way......has anyone tried that....and does it work.

I'll say  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
These are like medieval methods .....

Mark

BANG!!CRASH!!WA LLOP!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 06:46:18 PM »

I use athletics cream (the type that pole-vaulters & gymnasts use).  It basically turns your hands into sandpaper, and nothing will slip out of them.  Very handy if you sweat when nervous.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 06:06:33 PM »

ahh, is that like the powder that climbers put on thier hands? Thats a good idea.
Mark

BANG!!CRASH!!WA LLOP!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 02:45:23 PM »

ahh, is that like the powder that climbers put on thier hands? Thats a good idea.

Along the same lines, but it actually comes in liquid form.  When it's dry there is no residue or powder but it gives a great grip.  I highly recommend it, and you can get it from most chemists.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 02:56:46 PM »

sounds real good, ill have to check that out, cheers
drum_wizard

Power of the drum!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 01:54:14 AM »

I went through the same thing... i could just never hold on to my sticks for a long period of time.... but then my stick dropping days slowly started to go away... try giving it time.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »

Another tip is this:

Learn how to control your stick more. Ive made myself better at this by doing an interenting paradiddle. You do a paradiddle as normal, but when one stick is doing a double stroke, spin the other stick in mid air and catch it ready for its stroke. You will quickly learn how to move your stick around your hand while you play without dropping it.
max_override

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 04:16:12 AM »

You should be aware that dropping your sticks can be caused by a number of reasons -

1. Improper grip
2. RSI/Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - oh yes! a worry for many drummers, a slight feeling of numbness in your hand along with a slight tingling, can be helped by warming up wrists before each session.  But if you find that your grip on sticks is weak and your having problems holding your sticks because of these syndromes then you also need to work on your holding method as a bad holding technique is the most common cause.
3. Trying to move too fast and do rudiments too quickly, a common problem for thenew drummer.  Try slowing the rudiment or tune right down and then slowly speed it up.

Hope this helps

Andy
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 06:16:10 AM »

You should be aware that dropping your sticks can be caused by a number of reasons -

1. Improper grip
2. RSI/Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - oh yes! a worry for many drummers, a slight feeling of numbness in your hand along with a slight tingling, can be helped by warming up wrists before each session.  But if you find that your grip on sticks is weak and your having problems holding your sticks because of these syndromes then you also need to work on your holding method as a bad holding technique is the most common cause.
3. Trying to move too fast and do rudiments too quickly, a common problem for thenew drummer.  Try slowing the rudiment or tune right down and then slowly speed it up.

Hope this helps

Andy

Cheers Andy, i never thought of the more medical reasons!
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »

The dip coating does work well.  I've found that the coating sold at music stores is a bit more expensive than the same product that is sold at "Big Box Hardware Stores" for dipping tool handles.  I also use drummers' gloves if at any time that I encounter blisters or other grip problems, such as, using rods or Beauford style brush work.

The tying a string to the stick would only get in the way, good hi-hat work relies on close clearence to each other hand, strings are just a bad idea, and I'm sure you know that by now.

I've never tried hand doping (compounds or goo) but I can see where that may work.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

I rarely drop a stick and I play with a very lose grip.  The lose grip is a desired goal of developing stick control.  Relaxed hands and wrists open up your ability to play with speed and finesse, and yet still play with power when that is needed. Wink

Now wet hands can present a stick slippage problem.  If you are performing on stage under hot lights with sweat running down you arms, I seriously suggest that you wear the athletic style terrycloth wrist bands to absorb that moisture…..before it gets to your hands.  I also suggest that you keep a towel handy for wiping your hands when pauses in the music permit you to do so.

Now, I’ve never had the need to use gloves or some of the drum stick “grip enhancement” products available today.  However, if you are a player that really benefits from such products……well……you should use them….because the DO work for your needs.

I’ve watched lots of drummer videos over the years.  Whether it was Buddy Rich or Keith Moon or any of the fine drummers somewhere between those two styles…..they all used a very relaxed grip.

Whether you are swinging a golf club……a hammer……or a drum stick…..you will obtain more control and power with relaxed hands and wrists than you will with a vise-like death grip.

Cool
KEN SANDERS

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »

Ken is absolutely right.  A light grip at the right point of the stick will allow the most agile control over your sticks.  Playing Jazz and other light touch styles, there should be no need for grip enhancement.  Playing hard driving rock, country, western, etc. it wouldn't hurt to better your grip.  Just remember that if you find yourself holding on for dear life at the end of your stick, it is probably slipping in your hands and you need to experiment with some grip enhancement.
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 10:13:01 PM »

Hi,

Pasha presented the best solution for the dropping sticks problem.  Practice.  Assuming you are holding the sticks properly, practice, and lots of it, will solve just about all the problems I have read that drummers are having related to playing.

Of course this also assumes you have proper equipment and have it set up correctly.  As far as how loose you should hold the stick, Ken Sanders is correct.  Listen to him, too.  There are occasions when you have to tighten up your grip like when you're playing faster as in a pressed roll.  But, generally your grip should be loose and relaxed.  That's how people like Buddy Rich can play so fast and for such a long time.  They are loose and relalxed.   Also, they practiced a lot.

You will find that the more you practice (correctly) the better you will become.  It's the secret of drumming. 

Don
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: