Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Buying a drumset for my son - Drum Solo Artist

April 16, 2021, 01:11:29 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Buying a drumset for my son  (Read 5747 times)
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:03:02 AM »

****** Disclaimer: The following true life account of one mans story is not an expressed, written guarentee of your future results with your shopping for a drumset. I do not endorse/dislike a product or manufacture, nor do I endorse/dislike any outlet to buy drums, or endore/dislike any music.. I'm simply passing on my experience. Thanks in advance for your understanding.*************************************************

Well, as anyone who has read my profile knows, I'm the proud owner of a Ludwig Vistalite. It is my version of rolling thunder while you're sitting in the crowd listening to our band. Why listen to the bass drum, I want you to feel it!  Grin  But this drumset causes other problems as well, like the anal owner who simply wants you to look not touch, play or bring any object that would inflict harm to it. So I've had it set up in my house in my rec room for me to go and play anytime. Throughout the years my son has played guitar so I never worried, too much, about them being set up. Of course with instruments come other players. My son turned 14 this year and I noticed that he started taking an interest around 13. Of course, he would play the Luds. I was skeptical but allowed him to do it. As with any beginner, he has no comprehension of the sounds he here's on the recordings he listens to. He thinks that these guys are assaulting their drumsets! He listens to speedcore/screamo, whatever it is, and of course thinks that he's capable of playing it  Roll Eyes

I went and got a trash set ( Jet ) for him to beat on on before I started beating on him. Even got his mom mom to buy him some Zildgian ZBT's for Christmas so he wasn't beating on my cymbals either. So the natural progression is to buy another drumset so he can have something to call his own. He must learn the responsibilties of owning a drumset, learning how to choose his own equipment, etc. After prodding my wife long enough, taxes came in & off we went on our trek.

I've taken the time to tell my son that when shopping for equipment, you never go alone. You must take someone else there to play while you get your bearings on what you want to hear. And the difference between what you hear playing compared to what others hear. So our first stop was G.C. where we had access to a Yamaha Recording Custom, O.C.D.P., Gretsch Catalina, Pearl Masters and D.W.  After a hour an a half, we moved on to S.A. where we had them set up 2 sets, Ludwig Accent & DDrum D2 and then we went for lunch. We talked and I found he was leaning towards the Gretsch. Note: Being the owner of a classic, I felt a little proud when my boy chose the Gretsch. He's only used to one sound from a drum set, and that is cannon fire! LOL

I have varying opinions on what I heard and saw that day and I'm not ready to express any opinions that would offend anyone,organization,manufacture, etc. But I did want to say that you need to shop around, there are better deals out there and that's why I got the Gretsch set lower than what they advertised. And in case anyone is wondering, I found a lower price at a mom and pop shop in PA. So don't let the big names in equipment sales fool you, there not the only game in town. The only thing that they can do that Joe Blow can't do is free shipping.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »

You have batted 1000 on how you have handled your sons interest.  From making sure he played a variety of kits, too letting him make the choice based on what he wanted.  That will instill his drive to work harder and to also take care of the kit, and stay off your kit.  lol.

I also appreciate you adding that a little more effort to locate a deal can pay off. 
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 10:19:56 AM »

Vista1868

Thanks for sharing a very good story with us.  Within the actual story there were valuable insights for me.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: