Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

One handed Drum Roll - Drum Solo Artist

October 16, 2018, 03:29:21 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: One handed Drum Roll  (Read 5703 times)
pbowser

View Forum Profile WWW
« on: February 27, 2006, 06:53:30 PM »

Hey guys, and girl. This is my first time posting, im a newb at forums actualy. but you all seem friendly enough. Anyways, i've been checking out some sites and tutorials on one handed drum rolls, and well they aren't that specific or detailed, and i've been expirimenting alot with it trying to figure just what they mean. And obviously im sorta have a bit of trouble, so if any of you use a one handed drum roll or have enough expirience with it to give some pointers, or personal nacks that you have, that would be greatly apreciated. Thanks alot! oh and please tell me if this is the wrong place to post/ask about this, because i really don't know.

<>That Guy
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:11:20 AM »

i doubt your gonna check back after all this time, but its only know ive been shown the one handed drum roll.

Again, it was at the John Blackwell clinic. He showed us exactly how to do it, but it is a lot harder than you think. Apparently there are a few ways of doing it, and Buddy Rich had a way. John did it by putting the stick flat on the drum, but more to the left side of the drum so that the middle of the stick is sitting on the rim, but the tip is laying on the head, about an inch from the rim.. He then pivoted the stick on the rim by just holding the stick loosley, and moving his had up and down. He had to move his hand extremly fast to get something close to a consistant roll.

from just watching him, i would say not to bother. He didnt play anything while doing this roll, because he was so busy concentrating of keeping his body still, and his hand and lower arm moving so fast. Even when he got it going, it didnt half as smooth as a normal single stroke open roll.

EDIT: and this: www.onehandedroll.com
pbowser

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 03:20:41 PM »

Hey, thanks alot. Unfortunatly right now i don't have enough money, slash i don't like buying things online, to get the dvd. But luckily, considering the school i go to, there are alot of really skilled band majors, who specialize in percusion, and i asked a good friend if he knew (i don't know why i didn't think of this before). And he gave me, in his opinon, his favorite method. I've been pracrtising alot, and i understand how complicated it is, but thats not going to stop me. You never improve unless you don't challenge yourself. I'm not sure what the move is called, but it takes less consentration, and alows you to apply while doing other things. But im just replying to let you know that i got it and i appreciate it alot. somone finaly replied! aha.

Thanks alot.
That Guy

<>That Guy
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 04:54:10 PM »

Ahh, good of you to check back!

Its good you found a better way. You think you could explain roughly? I wasnt that taken back by Blackwell's try at it, and i want something to convince me it is a worthwhile thing to learn. That DVD says it is absolutly amazing and changes you playing compleatly. I dont really see how lol.

If you could do that, it would be awsome. I'll put it on Drum Wiki as well if you havnt got a password for it.

All the best.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: