Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Vintage cymbals rusted up overnight - Drum Solo Artist

September 23, 2018, 05:54:38 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Vintage cymbals rusted up overnight  (Read 4173 times)
makedrums

makedrums

View Forum Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 02:59:39 PM »

I just got this message from a friend on my facebook wall. Does anyone have any experience/can you help with this?

***hey Phillip, just had some crazy stuff happen to my cymbals and need some advice if you got it. had my drums set up in the same room as our inverter, and the batteries started burning off the water yesterday for one reason or another. anyway this caused the room to get incredibly humid. my two vintage A's rusted up ove...r night, straight black. and my newer diril turned purple. I hate to ruin the patina I had going on both those cymbals, but I dont want them falling apart. you got any home remides to clean that up without fully cleaning off the patina? I really like the way my ride sounds with 50yrs of dirt on it, hate to ruin that.
hope all is well, mike.***

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:08:34 PM »

I see that no one has responded with any help with your cymbals problem.  I really can't offer any remedies based on actual experience either.

If the cymbals are special to you, then I'd contact Ziljian directly.  Perhaps they are the best source for understanding the affect of the tarnish on your cymbals and the recommended way for dealing with it.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Reno
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Reno

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:30:07 PM »

First and foremost, WASH THEM with baking soda/water solution to defeat any residual acid and halt further deterioration.

As for the color/patina, little can be done about that.. the options are clean/polish, or have funky colored cymbals..

I can understand why your friend wouldn't want to part with the vintage ones... you become accustomed to their note, and that note is an evolved thing. Striking metal causes it to stretch however slightly which, over time, alters the pitch/note of a cymbal as it comes into true with it's mount angle. I would be eager to preserve them too..
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:35:55 PM »

Using the baking soda should accomplish what you desire.  Trust me, it will take much more to take the aged patina off your brass.  If the baking soda doesn't take enough of the new undesired stain off, generously apply some liquid "Brasso" on the surface...don't polish rub it, just wipe it on, swirl around a few times and then gently wipe it off.  De-aging a cymbal takes much more than that.
Reno
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Reno

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 12:28:20 PM »

Actually you should probably give the whole kit a wash with the baking soda, just because..
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: