Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Where are your Drums? - Drum Solo Artist

April 19, 2018, 07:29:21 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Where are your Drums?  (Read 10894 times)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« on: January 22, 2006, 10:29:40 AM »

ok, slightly odd topic, but im interested. Where do you keep and play your drums?
Basement?
Garage?
Lounge?
attic?

Mine are stuck in the attic. I really dont want them to be there. One of the reasons is that i have to take one of the hoops off my bass drum to fit it though the trap door. Also, there are so many beams, its very hard to position the kit so you can hit everything comfortably. But thats the only place my parents will let me have it.
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2006, 02:00:13 PM »

I guess we all have our challenges.  I am lucky I have my own room and I will send pictures to this site on of these days.  In this room I have (when it's all there ) one kit set up, Congas, bongos guitars Keyboard and a Xylaphone Right now mu percussion stuff is out with the rest of that bands stuff and half my one kit is by the door because when I brought it in last night it was too late and I was too lazy to bring it up stairs.
Viper_Drums

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »

If you can come up with a little cash, try and finish the room in the attic.  I know this will be hard with the beams and all.  Just a tought.  Or break down the set everytime you are done playing.  Drums are large, but they sure do stack well.  

Antonio G. Navarra
Viper Drum Company
info@viperdrums.com
speed_demon

pick, sticks and drum..dont get strings and strum

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 12:13:00 PM »

I have my cheap mapex set in my room i really dont want them torn up in my garage or start to warp.
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 04:52:49 PM »

mine are in my basement in front of my couch.

Its good so that my band has enough room to play Smiley

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 05:42:38 PM »

I heard some wierd noises coming from my attic when i woke up a few days ago. When i got up there, there was bird sh*t on my kit!....a bird got up in the loft and was flying about and pooping everywhere!  Grin Cry
drummer-4-1

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 12:30:39 PM »

i have my drums set up in a enclosed trailer, its about 16x8 i think, but its just big enough to set them up and play in and they dont get thrashed or anything
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 05:48:03 AM »

a trailer?....i want wanna them!

i thought of getting a bus....so i can stick my kit at the back. Then everytime i get complaints about noise, i just drive to someware else  Cheesy
Cameron

ACDC ROCK PHIL RUDD IS MY HERO

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 03:22:30 AM »

me dad and bro play guitar so we got like a little studio garage,
i got my drums set up near the back so theres plenty of room to play
with my band or family

PHIL RUDD INSPIRES ME TO PLAY BETTER
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:46:52 PM »

I am blessed to have a two level home with plenty of room.  When we built this house in 1985, we planned the layout for dual functionality.

The upstairs is our typical married couple home situation.  But downstairs I  have 1,530 square feet which includes a 16 x 20 studio (double insulated), a shop, a convenience kitchen, a full bath, a large 24 x 30 rehearsal room and a 10 x 12 small den/bar area.  I also have a large drum storage closet that is 144 square feet with a 9 foot ceiling height. In the event of over night stays for recording and/or long rehearsals, I have the ability to bunk the guys without disturbing our upstairs home life.

In the storage closet I've installed shelving for drum kits, snare drums, cymbals, drum heads, parts, drum hardware and file cabinets for music.  I have sound reinforcement gear, microphones, stands, cords, equipment, lighting, amps and other instruments stored in there as well. As you may suspect, I like planning and organization as an essential part of my music business.  Roll Eyes

My "man cave" (as my wife calls it) Cheesy is easy to get into for studio needs and for getting live performance kits prepared. It has a seperate outside entrance with covered parking downstairs. so load-in and load-out chores are much easier to handle. No one "upstairs" is disturbed by whatever is going on "downstairs".

As I said in the beginning, I am blessed to have a home that provides me an area for my musical endeavors......as well as a wife who, after 32 years of marriage, has learned to live around my music schedules.  Having a supportive and understanding wife may be the most important element in being a professional musician.  Cheesy

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 09:03:43 PM »

Amen Ken, Amen!
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »

That is a hot set up, Ken.  You obviously take your music business to heart.  I too have a pretty ample alotment for my kit and equipment, thanks to a verrry loving and understanding wife, Tammy.
We have a bi-level home and a completely finished lower level that we have spoiled ourselves in every way possible.  At least one third of it is dedicated to what she calls the "Man Room".  Framed and wired by myself, dry walled, mudded, sanded, and painted by Tammy.  She let me (mostly) decorate it, and there is plenty of room for all my needs.

Granny...don't feel slighted over other drummers' (like myself) situation.  I'm an old dude and have spent my time in a garage, or a corner in a small bedroom...even a kitchen, once or twice.  Hell, I never had an attic big enough for a kit.  Stuff always gets better...just keep at it, and don't just blow off opportunities. 
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »

Tomm,

It seems that we are, indeed, blessed in so many ways.  I think you'll agree that we should never take our blessings for granted. I am trying to share my experiences and insights, in whatever small way that it might impact young drummers; here on DSA.  It's not exactly "pay it forward", but it is a sincere desire to share as much as I can, now that I can. PASHA has created a great website that has readers from all over the globe and he has allowed me to have some input. I am humbled with that.

Nothing worthwhile is free.  I urge everyone to work hard.  Save some of your money.  Appreciate your loved ones. Treat people with respect. Plan for the future....don't let it just sneak up on you. And always thank the One who has bestowed blessings upon you.

This is not a formula that will guarantee you a wonderful music room, but it is a formula that will provide you a balanced life.

Sow the good seed.  Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:33:22 PM »

Absolutely good advice.  Dudes, and Dudettes, work for what you want...if that doesn't get you there, change your approach and try again.  If it is really what you want...YOU CAN FIND THE WAY.  Just keep at it.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: