Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

What are your favorite genres to play, and why? - Drum Solo Artist

July 18, 2018, 12:43:39 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: What are your favorite genres to play, and why?  (Read 5668 times)
smulligan28

smulligan28

Membranophonatic

View Forum Profile
« on: May 28, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »

Just a question to all drummers out there.. what are your favorite musical genres to play, and why?  I find it interesting to see why certain drummers  play the music they do, so I just thought I'd put the question out there...  Smiley
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »

First of all, welcome to the DSA Forum.

In response to your post, I get calls to play a pretty diverse variety of styles.  However, my personal favorite genre at this point in my performing career is jazz.  I also do some big band work, some work with 60's - 70' style R & B/Funk, and some rock/blues styles.  In my opinion, jazz and funk influences are apparent in my playing style no matter what genre I am performing.

No matter what genre a drummer prefers, he or she, needs to have a open mind and develop a good command of a variety of styles to get a steady stream of work.  To that I would add having a good attitude and being willing to accept the suggestions/comments of the producer or contractor, as personality traits that I have found very important.

Regardless of your personal favorite musical genres, if you allow yourself to become known as a one dimensional drummer, it will limit your professional opportunities.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
smulligan28

smulligan28

Membranophonatic

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »

Very true... Right now, I'm just beginning to learn to play the basics of jazz drumming, after trying out most styles of rock; I've got to say, jazz is certainly one of the most intricate and involved styles of drumming, but definitely worth the learning.  Each day is like an opening to new ways of playing, and like you said, the more open you are to newer, different styles, the better chance of gaining recognition as a drummer.
techristian

techristian

The World of Techristian

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:51:55 PM »

I like funk ,jazz ,fusion and rock. Lately I have been sitting in a Blues clubs. I actually made most of my money playing country, but it isn't one of my favorites.

What do I listen to? Mostly 80's ,fusion, old rock, some alternative and pop. I can play almost anything but funk , fusion and jazz are the most challenging for me.

Dan
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 12:42:43 AM »

I prefer modern jazz over everything else, but it is all good.  I have worked in about every kind of small band there is, and I have to say I have enjoyed every one of them. 

I am at the stage in my life where I need to challenge myself so I know I can improve my skills and keep things interesting.  Modern jazz seems to do that best for me.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:11:37 PM »

I always advise young drummers to play jam with other musicians and to play with bands as much as possible, in order to get exposure to whatever opportunities there are in their area......and to get aquainted with other players that can recommend them.  You never know when a spot will open and allow you to move your performance skills to another level.

Modern music has an endless variety of influences and feels.  Look at the wide range of styles that were incorporated into the music of the POLICE.  Look at the bands like the Dave Matthews Band.  Having a command of different styles opens many musical doors for drummers.

Regardless of your favorite styles to play, drummers get paid to play what the band leader or producer wants.  Steve Gadd has made an amazing career doing whatever was needed.

With every single playing opportunity that comes your way, you'll probably learn something that you can use again.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Goat-man

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 02:07:31 PM »

I like playing music that has a groove to it. I really like playing stoner metal because I like using my cymbals to create a strong wash.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: