Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

What do I need to play live shows? - Drum Solo Artist

April 20, 2018, 12:21:50 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Poll
Question: What do I need to play live shows?
. - 0 (0%)
. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: What do I need to play live shows?  (Read 4971 times)
singlez

View Forum Profile
« on: April 12, 2009, 11:37:28 PM »

Like what do I need to amplify the sound besides mics?
ive been playing for 3 years
i have a 5 piece pdp fs series
hi hats, crash, ride, and china
i play hardcore/metal music
50 people + size venues
$500 to spend but i dont have to buy everything at once

PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:19:48 AM »

I am sorry, but - what exactly are you asking?

In terms of equipment, you need a little more than just a mixer and monitor... But than again, it all depends on the type of the gig... - Best bands out there usually sound their best when performing completely acoustic. - No mics what so ever!

Could you describe what are you trying to achieve? Or what exactly do you mean when you ask:
What do I need to play live shows?
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »

okay Singlez, start by going to your profile page and put in some info about yourself, i.e. how long you have been playing, what type of group your working with, what type of kit you are working with etc., or put it in this thread.  You may be surprised as to the amount of info you will get on the subject.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »

There is no "universal" answer to your question.  The gear you need will be dependant on several possible varibles.

What are the components of your drum set?

What genre of music do you perform?

What size venues are you intending to perform in?

What is your budget for purchasing whatever additional gear you might need?

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:59:47 PM »

Okay, I see that you have given some additional information so let's discuss it a bit more now.

You wrote:
i have a 5 piece pdp fs series
hi hats, crash, ride, and china
i play hardcore/metal music
50 people + size venues
$500 to spend but i dont have to buy everything at once

The drums you have seem to be a good solid series if all the parts and pedals, etc. are functioning correctly.  The style of music you are performing may require more frequent batter head replacements than some other genres do.  So, NUMBER ONE.....you need to check the playablity of your drum heads.  Here's a blog I wrote that may be helpful.

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/user/blogs/view/name_KenSanders/id_52/title_my-drums-donít-sound-good-anymore/

If you are playing 50+ seat venues, that's fairly small and typically doesn't require a lot of sound reinforcement.  However, if the other members of the band are into "ear bleed" volume levels, I'd suggest some microphones and ear protection.  Here's a blog I wrote that may provide some guidance regarding that.

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/user/blogs/view/name_KenSanders/id_57/title_how-can-i-stop-breaking-sticks-and-cymbals-and/

I have no idea how appropriate your cymbal sizes and weights are for the volume levels you play, but the above referenced blog discusses that topic also......as well as, the blog cited below on selecting cymbals.

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/user/blogs/view/name_KenSanders/id_71/title_selecting-cymbals-101/

I do strongly suggest that you (if you already don't have one) purchase a drum throne that allows you to be comfortable, and easily adjustable to the optimal position for you.

Drum microphones packages are available in many price ranges.  Each microphone will need a cable.  Some have built in mounting devices.....others require microphone stands.

If you do some research here on this site, you should be able to find something affordable.  However, if you do decide to mic your drums, ALSO realize that your band will need enough channels on the mixer to accomodate them.  Also, the speakers your band uses, should be able to handle the high and low tones of mic'd drums without clipping or distorting......otherwise.......what's the point in mic'ing them?

Now, all of that above was about gear.  Here's a DEEPER answer to your "WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY LIVE SHOWS"?

Talent and tempo control

The ability and desire to get along emotionally and musically with your fellow musicians

A committment to practicing any parts or patterns that need work

The ability to accept constructive criticism

The ability to adapt to the needs of the song (don't overplay...don't underplay....play what is best for the tune)

I seriously suggest that you learn to read music very well, if you want to become more than a one trick pony.  Music constantly changes and if you want to eventually play professionally, you'll need to be able to perform a variety of styles and feels.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: