Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Ska Freaks! - Drum Solo Artist

December 13, 2018, 12:46:13 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Ska Freaks!  (Read 7301 times)
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« on: March 14, 2009, 03:13:25 AM »

Hey guys, I just want to start a discussion about a fairly obscure style of music known as Ska. It is (for people who don't know), a fusion between, Punk-Rock, and Reggae. If you're interested in hearing some of this, probably the best song to start with would be, "Wrong Way" by Sublime. So lets hear what your opinion is. Do any of you do ska drumming? Do you have any bands to show me who play Ska?

To me, Ska isn't one of those 'Deep' styles of music, that is all about sending messages in the lyrics about politics, and about how they're depressed, or some subtle way of saying, "I smoke Marijuana". Ska is about having a good time, and not worrying about sending a deep message to people. Ska is about making one very important thing clear to people. Making music is about MAKING MUSIC.
I think that some metal, and grunge players get caught up in being deep, and forget about making music. I'm not saying that ska is better music, I just think that ska players have more fun making music. And also their lyrics are extremely immature, yet hilarious.

What do you think?

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
patafla
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:24:18 AM »

Well Ska is simply something that I consider freakin maaaaaad-:) It may be the funnyest stuff ever really. I dont know about the "punk - rock" connection though since ska is first and foremost a style that comes from Jamaika. It has eliments of some of the afro - carabean and african styles.

However there is a lot of fusion going on with Ska and I have allways had the intention to check it out some more. A list of new bands would be appreceated!
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 02:44:27 AM »

Yeah, dude, it's so punk. It's not really, like Rancid punk, but more Pop-Punk stuff. It's like a mixture of Bob Marley, and Blink 182. What kind of Ska have you heard?

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
patafla
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 06:30:43 AM »

well "Ska" is not "a fusion between, Punk-Rock, and Reggae". "Ska" is Ska.

See what I mean? Mixing rock up with Ska does not make rock Ska, it makes a fusion of rock and Ska which is kool. Not that this matters so much but since you are attemting to define "Ska" I decided to point this out to you.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »

Ska is a musical genre that seems to have evolved into several sub-groups much like Rock, Jazz, or Country has. 

I read the Wikipedia article about it.   en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ska

Ska Stylistic origins Jamaican Mento and Calypso; American Jazz and R&B
Cultural origins Late 1950s Jamaica
Typical instruments Guitar, Bass guitar, Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophone, Piano, Drums, Organ
Mainstream popularity Highest in early 1960s; wide popularity in Jamaica & notable popularity in United Kingdom; notable revivals in 1970s/1980s UK and late-1990s North America

Whether you can agree with the article or not, it at least does give cites for the basis of the article's statements.  It's worth a read if you to continue more discussion on this topic. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
terio305

terio305

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »

well kids if you want to learn how to play ska just listen to Skatalites, they are the roots of the movement that "you know" now... one more tip, if you play punk rock, ska is somewhat similar but a lot of tircking with the hit-hat and drum fills most of the time with the snare only.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »

well kids if you want to...

A bit out of subject here, but Thank you, I take it as a compliment  Wink
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: