Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

A Tip for You to Consider - Drum Solo Artist

January 18, 2018, 10:43:18 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: A Tip for You to Consider  (Read 7208 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:14 PM »

You are rushing to get to the gig!  That happens often doesn't it?...... but have you ever packed your gear so quickly that you left without your stick bag?   Is that where you also keep your DRUM KEY? Shocked    Now that's a bad situation to be in.

Personally, I always pack my stick bags inside my hardware cases to avoid that, but here is another tip to consider.

Why not stash a couple of pairs of sticks and a drum key in your vehicle "just in case"?  Put them in the trunk....under the seat...whatever.....but they'll be there if an ooppps happens.  Wink

I've also written a blog about a drummers emergency kit, that might give you some other ideas. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:27 AM »

I remember my first need of an emergency kit.  It was the first time I blew through a bass drum head.  Fortunately it happened before I started using a vented front head, but with the open front bass, and the venue we were playing in that night, I had to stuff my coat in the drum juuuust right.  It still wasn't the same.  My emergency kit has been quite extensive since then.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »

Tomm,

Here is the blog

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/live/user/blogs/view/name_KenSanders/id_105/title_drummerís-emergency-kit/

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 08:02:59 PM »

That is great advice, thanks Ken.

Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »

Yeah Ken, your list speaks volumes of experience.
I'd like to see what other drummers have done to prepare for the inevitable.  (Challenge thwarted)
 ;)Ken, Although I do always carry a first-aid kit in my vehicle, I think I will add one to my gig bag after I get this new project on the road.  Thanks for the tip.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 02:50:59 PM »

I looked at this thread again.  You know my original intention was to suggest a "drummers' safety net measure".....basically that being if you got to the gig with everything EXCEPT your stick bag and a drum key.  The original idea was to keep a couple of pairs of sticks and a drum key under the front seat of your vehicle.....JUST IN CASE!

However, we've had several folks say in another thread that they also used BRUSHES quite often.  I that applies to you, then you might consider keeping an old set of brushes when you replace them with new ones......and slipping them under the seat with your emergency plan B sticks and drum key.

The idea of an emergency kit for drummers is a must for veteran pro's.  Hand santizer should be included nowadays and also batteries if you use anything that requires them.  They will loose power at the absolute worse time!  For major performances I always suggest new ones anyway.

If you evaluate your needs and your "luck", the items for YOUR emergercy kit will become very apparent to you.
Check your kit often for items that need attention.  That is time well spent to avoid a breakdown or a failure.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:48:43 PM »

Hi,

That's good advice Ken.  Forgetting my sticks is one fear that has always nagged me.  It is possible to forget your sticks, and it happened to me a loooooong time ago.  I had to borrow someone elses sticks, and they were too small for me.  I couldn't get the power I needed.  I was really down.

So, what I do now is in the afternoon, well before I go play or practice, I get everything I'm going to use and get it ready and stack it in my living room.  Then when it's time to go, I have everything ready, and I don't have to worry about anything.

I always carry a drum key with me.  Always.  Either in my shoulder bag, pocket, or somewhere on me.  I always keep a key in my snare drum case, too.  And, I have two keys in my stick bag.  One of them is tied to the bag so it can't get lost, or if dropped, I can get it quickly.  Nothing like dropping a drum key on a stage that has poor lighting and trying to find it in a hurry.  Everyone goes crazy because I have to have that key because if the drums don't sound the way I want them to, I'm not playing them.  Everyone and everybody has to stop doing whatever they are doing and hurry and help me find that key.

That's some of what I do now.  Don
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »

As you have demonstrated the "Key" is that you need a contingency plan.  Sooner or later a minor disaster tries to ruin your gig.  That is when Plan B saves the day.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 11:45:22 AM »

Good Post and advice

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »

Learning from the experiences of others saves a lot of frustration and often.....finding yourself in an avoidable predicament.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »

Another problem I have encountered is other musicians not prepared for the unexpected.  There have been times when I felt that I should have foreseen that too and brought an extra amp or set of strings with me.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: