Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Your favourite drummer - Drum Solo Artist

September 20, 2018, 07:07:29 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
 Print 
Author Topic: Your favourite drummer  (Read 107958 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2010, 10:32:58 PM »

Very cool jmercado.   First of all....a warm welcome to DSA.  I know you will love it here.

They call Bernard Purdie the "Hitmaker" for good reason!   He has an amazing ability to just make a tune rock. I met him in Chicago at the NAMM show a few years ago.  He had some great stories and man can he lay down a groove.

Benny Greb is gaining recognition by leaps and bounds.  I saw that he will be a featured artist at the 2010 Modern Drummer Festival next month. Rock, jazz, reggae, funk.....man he is a monster.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
janice595

View Forum Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »

Lars Ulrich!!! Enough Said!
JKL1970

View Forum Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »

I wouldn't be drumming if it weren't for Phil Collins.  Being a big Genesis fan, that leads me by extension to Chester Thompson as well (which frankly I'm only mentioning from Ken's earlier post...I can't say I've studied his technique or anything, but I have a deep respect for the many styles he can play.  Really, anyone that had the talent and fortune to play with Zappa has to be exceptional).

Like many others, Neil Peart is an influence.  Max Weinberg as well, and I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned him.
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2010, 08:45:44 PM »

Phil Collins, great mention!!!!  I like his style of drumming a good deal.

lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2011, 03:55:05 PM »

Stuart Copeland. I saw the Police just after they released there first album at a small gig in Newcastle and he had such an effect, I bought a kit 2 days later.
Boy he can swing.

Grin
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2011, 02:35:03 PM »

My son, Jason, and I went to a drum clinic by Benny Greb, a fairly small venue so it was nothing less than great.  He is definately one of the best instructor/drummers I have come across.  The productions he puts together are so unique they demand full attention.
jojo0912

View Forum Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »

mine is jimmy "the rev" sullivan (R.I.P.) , shannon larkin, mike wengren, and ray luzier
DrumHang
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2012, 03:08:36 AM »

Todd Sucherman.
yamaharec

yamaharec

View Forum Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »

Neil Peart is still the one for me!!I've seen Rush as far back as Hemispheres late 70's early 80's Permament Waves.Being Canadian its almost a must for a drummer to have Neil in the TOP 10 List!!! I'm 49 years old & still doing YYZ & La Villa just to remember on how hard it is to play!!

Other honorable mentions in no particular order: Mike Mangini ,Mike Portnoy,Marco Minnemann,The Rev,Jo Jo Mayer,Thomas Lang,Dave Abruzzese,Cozy Powell,Carl Palmer,Buddy Rich
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

Hi!       

My favorit drummer is Tony Williams.  I'm now making a Tony Williams drum solo discography which will include all of the cds he is on.  Finding all his cds and actually listening to them is a challenge to say the least.

The list will include all the cds whether there is a drum solo on it or not.  The list will include the song names and the solo durations for each drum solo.

When it's as ready as possible, I'll put it into the blog section.  I imagine it will be the only "complete" Tony Williams discography with or without solos.

There are Tony Williams discographies peppered throughout the internet, but they are not complete.

Don

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2012, 11:49:07 PM »

I will truly look forward to hearing/seeing that work Don.  Tony's style, while always very stylish and distinctive....evolved through the years.  Can't wait for this. Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:39 AM »

I won't be able to put up anything to hear.  I could because I'm making my own cds with just the drums solos on them so I can listen to just the drum solos.  Two reasons would prevent me from doing it, and they are 1, I don't know how to put music on the blog if it's even possible and 2, I don't know if it ok to do it.

If I can meet those two conditions, then I would do it.  Also, I haven't decided whether to do it by album title or year of recording.  Probably album title.

Also, I'm not including any trading fours, intros, fills or vamps in general.  Just actual solos with some maybe having a little background but not vamping per se.  It's tricky.  Sometimes his normal playing sounds like a drum solo, but it isn't.  It's just his over the top playing.

Some hard stuff to get are things like V.S.O.P. III Live in Athens, Santana and Hancock live, The Miles Davis Quintet Manchester Concert, Lifetime - Running Wild w/Alan Holdsworth and stuff like that.  But, I'm working on it.

When I first decided to do this I was going by the usual discographies you find on the internet, but the more I got into it the more I found that the usual discographies are not even close to having his total discography.   Things keep popping up here and there that have been forgotten about or are unknown by the mainstream jazz enthusiasts. 

I found one that was never issued on cd as far as I know.  Got it on cassette.  George Cables - "Phantom of the City" for example.  Two solos on that one.  Interestingly though, there are lots of cds where he doesn't play any solos at all.   

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »

I see your point Don.  That decision will need to come from PASHA.  I'll bring it to his attention.

Hope your world is rocking Don!

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2012, 12:00:12 AM »

Thanks Ken,

I'm going to put any future discussion about this particular "my favorite drummer" post on the " Tony Williams" post since I guess this is getting to far away from the topic of "my favorite drummer".

Don

ps:  I'm rocking as hard as I can.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2012, 06:55:16 PM »

Haven't heard back from PASHA yet, but his schedule may be hectic right now.  I know we'll hear from him soon.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
 Print 

Jump to: