Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Best Kits - Drum Solo Artist

July 20, 2018, 06:29:31 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Poll
Question: Which of these manufacturers makes the best kits and why?
DDrum - 0 (0%)
DW - 2 (10.5%)
Gretsch - 1 (5.3%)
Ludwig - 3 (15.8%)
Mapex - 1 (5.3%)
Pearl - 3 (15.8%)
Premier - 1 (5.3%)
Rogers - 2 (10.5%)
Sonor - 1 (5.3%)
Tama - 1 (5.3%)
Yamaha - 4 (21.1%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 
Author Topic: Best Kits  (Read 24539 times)
drumr5600
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »

I personally like the vintage Ludwig. I own a 1965 Ludwig black oyster pearl set. My dad bought it for me when I was in junior high and I still play it today.  It's been a great set and tuning is extremely easy. I've always kept them in cases and they still look new. even after 40+ years. I love the sound and no matter what band I've played in ( rock to country ), I've never had a problem. I've mic'd them and played in small & large rooms. I've always been very happy with them. Just can't say enough about vintage maple.
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2009, 08:55:13 PM »

Really, the best ...is the most expensive.  But when it comes to "good"...its all good.  "Maple shells"...bound fiber shells"..."suspended mounts"..."Double braced heavy duty stands"...Double or triple flange hoops"...what it really boils down to is that you need to sound good, and you make it to your gig on time.  Everything else is fluff.  How much fluff you need to be happy ...is entirely up to you alone.  And as most of you know already, I think you need Zildjian cymbals to be max-cool.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »

When Steve Gadd was first getting recogntion around New York clubs and a bit later on some of his early sessions he was playing a unique kit.  It had a GRETSCH bass drum; PEARL single-head 10", 12", 13" and 14" fiberglass toms; and Ludwig Supraphonic snare drum.

That often makes me wonder if that's the kit I've heard on some of his early recorings.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »

For my money, my '79 Ludwig Vistalites rule.  For the sheer thump of the bass drum ( heads tuned properly ) and volume, I haven't met that "other" set yet.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »

Jonathan wanted some "veteran" recommendations for our new drummers.  So this information is specifically for those who are searching for a good quality-good sounding NEW drum kit without spending a fortune.

I looked at what is out there right now and focused on the ease of obtaining good musical tones, the variety of available sizes, the functionality of the fittings, and the price tags.  With that criteria, I have tried out several kits from several maufacturers during the past several months.

In my opinion, the best option currently available that meets all of those conditions mentioned previously is the Yamha Stage Custom (Birch) series.

There were some other drum kits that had good prices, but they were not without problems that really bothered me.  The bearing edges were the most common concern.  Snare beds were second.  Third was the quality of the drum heads.  Finishes and chrome plating on some other brands was also "ify".

So, there you I have it.  The current "best kit" for the beginner buget...in my opinion at least....is the Yamaha Stage Custom Series.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »

Thanks Ken, great info.

Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »

Loved the vid, sounded good.  Welcome to DSA, enjoy the site, lots of great info here and super members.  Hope you post a few more vids, you started to loosen up a bit as the song progressed.

Pages: 1 [2]
 Print 

Jump to: