Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

23 inch Dw Kick - Drum Solo Artist

January 22, 2018, 11:18:00 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: 23 inch Dw Kick  (Read 8334 times)
JeffS

JeffS

View Forum Profile
« on: August 25, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »

Hi ,everyone-just wanted to throw my two cents in on the 23" kick Dw has out.There may be something to the odd size that will give it a different sound than standard sizes.I have not played one but I use Sabians and some of my odd size crashes and my china have a very distinct sound from standard sizes.Maybe it's different like the FAST tom sizes can sound different than one's that aren't.Some sort of acoustical formula meets marketing idea,and yeah it's Neil Peart who as far as I know is the only one using it-so who is to say it's Peart's taste or DW's.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »

Maybe a 19" bass drum would be just right for places where an 18" is not enough and a 20" is too much.   Grin

I wonder if John Bonham would have used a 25" bass drum to get more punch than the 26"?   Roll Eyes

Personally, wouldn't the 21" bass drum would be the most versatile size.....don't you think?

Shocked

I'm just being silly.  Honestly, I'd love to hear from someone who has used (test driven?) this size drum.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:08:05 PM »

Some time has gone by since this thread originated.  Wink

QUESTION

Has anyone played/used a 23" DIAMETER bass drum?  Undecided

IF SO
What is your impressions of what that size has to offer?  Would you recommend it?  What depth do you feel brings out the best response (i.e. some drummers contend that a 24" bass drum DEEPER than 16" is much too boomy).

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 01:59:49 PM »

When my son & I were shopping for drums I did play a DW kit with this bass drum. My impression? It was happening!  I didn't like the kit but I loved that bass drum sound. I'm also cynical as you can be and I analyzed what creature comforts the store put on it. They did install the DW muffler pad on this drum so it had the bottom end that I love but I think it killed some of the resonance that I like. My first impession was that it would be a fantastic bass drum for MY use but I cannot speak for the rest of the drummers. As with any discerning ear, the proof is in what YOU hear. I hope this advice can help someone Ken.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:37:10 PM »

I finally played one of the DW 23" bass drums.  It was 18" deep.  It sounded fine, but the response (feel) was slower that what I actually prefer.  However, that could have been the 18" depth rather than the 23" diameter. I thought the 23" bass drum performed much like a 24" bass drum.....which I guess should be expected.

With most bass drums....personally, I find that a 14" depth has the faster response and that the 16" depth is similar but not quite as quick.  (I know that Steve Gadd and Stanton Moore like the 14" depth best for that reason). 18" and longer depth are much slower for me.

The longer a bass drum is, the longer the air column is that you have to move when you strike the beater into the head.  If you play a snare drum that is 4" deep and then play one that is  8" deep you can feel the sensitivity factor more easily than with a bass drum.  However, it's that "response" sensation that I am talking about. It's a "feel" thing.

As usual, the choosing of drum sizes is very personal....to me, at least. I have 18", 20", and  22" bass drums to choose from for my work nowadays. Why three?

I use the 18" bass drum for small ensemble jazz.  For funk, which typically has faster bass drum rebound needs, I prefer a 20" bass drum.  For contempory styles and big band, I prefer a 22" bass drum for the deeper note in the mix.

I have nothing against a 23" bass drum, but probably wouldn't need one for the work I do right now. But, it might be just the "thang" for many drummers.  Cool I applaude DW for putting one into production.  Cool

A 21" bass drum might be the most versatile for me!  But I'll probably never know for sure  Roll Eyes

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 10:37:25 AM »

Ken, your the "science guy" of drums.  You prove it all the time, and I appreciate your sharing your experiences and abilities.  Thanks...Tomm
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: