Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Strange places to play drums! - Drum Solo Artist

October 15, 2018, 10:46:19 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Strange places to play drums!  (Read 4953 times)
DrumCoverBrasil

DrumCoverBrasil

View Forum Profile
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:35:43 AM »

Guys, Id like to know in what different place have you played. Everyone have a story to tell. I remember that I played in farms, in stages almost falling, in church garage, etc.

Id like to share with you a video where a drummer is playing on the top of snow mountain (wearing a sleeveless T-shirt). I guess it was so cold. Other cool stuff is the drumstick effects. They seem a little weak.

This video link is http://drumcoverbrasil.blogspot.com/2011/10/vincent-girault-time-dirty-bit-black.html

Tell us where youve played. javascript:void(0);
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »

That is an intersting clip.  I think the strangest venues (actually performing not videos) for me are always places that shouldn't really be a music venue in the first palce.  Certainly, playing on floats in a parade is very weird and I've played on a stage that's actually a large refurbished barge (that moves with the waves) at Riverfront park in Nashville.  And even at some outdoor festivals where the wind velocity blew cymbals around like a sail.  But the absolute craziest for me was performing at the circus at the arena where the band was placed between the lions (caged, of course) and the elephants.  I vowed NEVER to perform at the circus in that stage location again.  It was one of the worst situations I have ever dealt with.  Roaring generally pissed off lions that hated the vibrations of the band's music and huge smelly elephants doing their best to poop out stinky loads and make the air even more foul in their general proximity. 

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Carthage

Carthage

Practice

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »

Hi,
      For us, it was the strange.  The band was "The Third World Raspberry".  There were four of us.  Two guitars, bass, and drums.  We played pyschedelic-rock-blues like Hendrix and Cream and so on.

What made it strange was that we were performing for drug rehabilitaion patients in the Old North Church in Boston.  It's also known as Christ Church.  It's a very old famous church.  We were completely stoned.

It's hard to imagine four stoned pyschedelic musicians playing in one of the most revered places in history (right up on the altar) to a bunch of dudes who were trying to quite.  Is that irony or what.

The priests weren't really happy about us since we were laughing and carrying on while dressed in our pyschedelic clothes, long hair, and devil-may-care attitudes.   It was weird, but we had a good time and so did the audience.

That band almost made it.  We recorded in Colombia studios in NYC, but before we finished, we broke up.  So, I'm not famous and neither is the band.

If anyone is interested in knowing more about the band and the times, you can go to this site:  http://www.punkblowfish.com/ThirdWorldRaspberry.html

Don

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:00 AM »

I played in a private club located 33 stories up (top).  The stage was a triangle in a corner and I set up in the back corner with clear glass from the stage floor to ceiling.  With drums and cymbals blocking my veiw of the stagefloor..... the view that I had to either left or right was an uncomfortable 33 stories down to the sidewalk.  It took me several minutes to get used with that.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: