Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Keith Carlock - performing Aja with Steely Dan - Drum Solo Artist

October 18, 2018, 03:04:10 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Keith Carlock - performing Aja with Steely Dan  (Read 12797 times)
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« on: March 25, 2008, 12:32:26 AM »

This is an interesting live version of "Aja" without the use of the very dominant vibraphone and xylophone work that was on the original recording.  Donald Fagan also has a Melodica solo in this rendition.  He, of course, has played that instrument on several other “classic” Steely Dan recordings, but to hear him use it of “Aja” was a bit of a surprise to me.

Keith Carlock certainly has the chops and ability to play the original drum that Steve Gadd did, but I’m glad that Fagen and Becker let him do his own improvisations to the tune.  I will always enjoy Steve Gadd’s solo, but Keith Carlock’s solo is very inspiring too.  Whether it’s Keith’s intensity, or his groove, he seems to be very comfortable playing music that I believe many drummers would have trouble keeping in the pocket.

Even though Steely Dan’s music isn’t everyone’s “cup of tea”, they do set a high standard for the musicians they use. Keith Carlock is certainly well deserving of their “seal of approval”.  I hope you enjoy this clip as much as I did.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WFKSyP5pNE0&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/WFKSyP5pNE0&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Ani-mal

Ani-mal

Animal on the loose! film at 11:00

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »

Clip? I saw them live with Keith playing drums! HE did an excellent job. Michael McDonald opened for them and then sat in on some of the tunes he origionally did with them. I was a great show!!  Yvette "Baby Girl" Preyer played drums for Michael McDonald and was quite awesome!  Cool
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »

I concur Ani-mal.  I saw them both in Nashville on that tour. 

Wishing I could see replays of Keith's performance with Steely Dan, I've found these clips very enjoyable to view. 

On You Tube, as well as on Keith own website, there are other clips too.  He is a blazing star in the Jazz/Funk/Fusion genre now and his career is still in the growing stages.

I predict that like Steve Gadd did, he will become a drumming icon.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Tomm

#2of 4 generations

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »

Went to see Steely Dan last night at "The Star Theater" in Merrillville, IN., 5th row center no less, the whole show was flawless,  Kieth Carlock included.  He impresses everyone to knowing he is exceptional.  After they finished the "Aja" album, they were into the traditional band intro tune and introduced Kieth and you would have thought the house was full of drummers.  He played a great show and everyone appreciated his talent. 
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »

Keith now has a home right outside of Nashville in Springhill,Tennessee.  He sometimes plays the "Third and Linsley" music club, here in Nashville, with his trio.  He is an absolutely awesome musician.

I've also seen him perform at the New Orleans Jazz Festival with James Taylor.  Now that's a very different musical situation from what we usually think of him doing.  He did great in that understated and more laid back genre, as we would all expect.

Have no doubt, the man can play anything he wants to.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »

Its good to see I'm not the only rock guy playing traditional! I know music is subjective but, how can you not like this band? These guys, no matter who plays with them, get my seal of approval.
chungiemunchin

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:17:33 AM »

This tells me that there exists video of Steely Dan, professionally produced visually and audibly, with Keith Carlock and the balance of the current band. When will it be published for public consumption? I and many others would make that purchase for sure.

There's nothing quite like the current line up and Donald himself says this has turned into a real band vs. hired hands.

I'm waiting.........
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: