Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

bands - Drum Solo Artist

April 19, 2018, 03:20:09 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: bands  (Read 3157 times)
adm-drummersnare

View Forum Profile
« on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:58 PM »

i need help
how do people start bands

i play in a church band but all my friends in that band are
always goofing off so i want to start my own band.

any advise?
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 01:40:17 AM »

Maintaining an open mind about the various musical styles; and bascially....just playing whatever musical  opportunities that might develop; is something I would recommend at your age.

Remember that if you restrict yourself to listening and evaluating only your own "current" personal favorite music; then your appeal as an aspiring drummer will be limited.

If the church band is one of those opportunities, then make the most of it.  Not everyone you perform with right now will have  serious musical interests as you may have.  However, every time you play it  is adding to your experience.

If you are taking lessons, then your instructor may be scheduling some recitals.  Your instructor may also know instructors of other instruments who have students that might want to meet you and discuss jamming together and working on some tunes.

If your city has music stores where musicians are posting notices for forming bands and/or seeking players; then that would be a another possibility.  You may want to post a notice of your availabilty.  I don't know anything about your skill level or the kinds of music you can perform well, but you may want to include that in a profile about yourself.

There are some other possible ways to gain experience and expand your musical vocabulary.  Does your school have a band?  Do the colleges in your area have youth band and orchestra workshops for getting young players together?   Is there a city-wide youth symphony program?  What about community bands in your area?  They are typically a combination of adult musicians and student musicians.

Also, thinking about some learning opportunities.... does your local musicians union have a rehearsal hall?  Could you obtain permission (or a sponsor) to allow you to come out to some of the rehearsals and just watch, listen, learn?

In the meantime, listen to lots of different kinds of music.  Put on the headphones and play along with recordings.  Practice your reading.  Practice your meter.  Then practice new strokes and rythms.  Spend the greater share of your practice time on your weaker skills.  Prepare yourself to be ready when opportunity presents itself to you.

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: