Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

A drummy summer - Drum Solo Artist

December 19, 2018, 04:58:55 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: A drummy summer  (Read 13155 times)
fonzydrum

fonzydrum

fonzydrum@hotmail.it

View Forum Profile
« on: June 15, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »

Hey, men!

I just want you to give me some advices concerning drums  Smiley

In two weeks I'll finish my school leaving examinations, then I'm going to dedicate myself to drums for all the time I have.

As my drums lessons finished, my aim is to improve in such a way, so that when my lessons will begin again on October, I can say "I haven't wasted my time this summer".

In shorts, what can you suggest me to do this summer? Have you got any good drum- plans or any good videos to tell me?

Thanks in advance  Wink

Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »

cor...where to start?

Rudiments? thats always a winner, but not always interesting.

I'm finishing my final exams, and one of the things I'll b working on is some independence of limbs. Mainly my right hand. I've been doing exercises trying to get clave and cascara rhythms (african patterns) on my right hand but continuing a beat with snare and bass and hihat. It can make some real funky beats, and whats better than some funk in the summer?!

if you want videos, we have a video thread that you can have a look at here

Welcome to the boards btw  Wink Always happy to welcome female drummers, there needs to be more of them. Many more...
fonzydrum

fonzydrum

fonzydrum@hotmail.it

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

Thank you so much for your answer  Wink

Yeah, some funky style in the summer isn't bad at all!

I'll do my best, I don't wanna spend the same boring summer as the others---

I get always depressed when my drum lessons finish  Cry

Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:54:40 PM »

I think the best advice is practise makes perfect! Also welcome!

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 06:14:03 PM »

Yeah, some funky style in the summer isn't bad at all!

I'll do my best, I don't wanna spend the same boring summer as the others---
Thats a good plan, dont waste any second of it.

I see (from your myspace) that your a fan of Virgil Donati. Do you have any of his drum DVD's? I'm sure you could learn something from that. Although, i went to a drum clinic by him, and was blown away. I wanted to learn some of the stuff that he was doing, but my teacher wouldn't help me, saying "probably only a few people in the room could understand what he was doing, let alone do it".
Pretty negative, no?  Cheesy
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 10:59:35 PM »

...but my teacher wouldn't help me, saying "probably only a few people in the room could understand what he was doing, let alone do it".

Never been to Virgils clinic, anyway, - are you talking about his famous double stroke feet technique?
fonzydrum

fonzydrum

fonzydrum@hotmail.it

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 08:24:01 AM »

I see (from your myspace) that your a fan of Virgil Donati. Do you have any of his drum DVD's? I'm sure you could learn something from that.

Yes, of course, he's the first drummer I fell in love with  Grin
Unfortunately I haven't got any DVD of him, but I've got lots of files with his exercises.
I tried to play them on drums, but it's impossible : what I have to do is playing step by step new things and technics. Virgil and his playing belong to another phase of my musical growing Smiley

Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »

are you talking about his famous double stroke feet technique?
No, i cant remember what it was, but i thought it was kinda simple at the time, by just tapping it with my hands, but apparently not  Cheesy
Does he have a special foot technique? obviously missed that bit of the clinic  Roll Eyes

Yes, of course, he's the first drummer I fell in love with  Grin
Unfortunately I haven't got any DVD of him, but I've got lots of files with his exercises.
I tried to play them on drums, but it's impossible : what I have to do is playing step by step new things and technics. Virgil and his playing belong to another phase of my musical growing Smiley
Yea, his playing is somewhere on another planet. There is always plenty of other drummer's dvds to teach you new stuff if you get stuck for things to do.
stunderthorm
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:40:02 AM »

X__X__X__X__X__X__X__X__X__X__X__X__    (HiHat, right hand, eigths)
._____-S__________--S__________--S_____    (Snare, left hand, accent on 3rd eigth)
BB__-BB__BB__-BB_--BB__.BB_--BB__.BB__    (Bassdrum, right foot, sixteenth)

ignore the lines and points, they are just to somehow align the whole thing

practice the bassdrum and hihat together, realize it's the first three eights repeated

adding the snare is tricky unless you anticipate what this sounds like, so try to 'hear' it - that helped me quite a bit in figuring it out - it's a 'rudiment' from a Virgil Donati video, definitively worthwhile trying Smiley

PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 01:37:38 PM »

Nice! - Thanks Wink
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 12:15:31 PM »

jeeze...i think i'll be spending my summer working that one out! The BB is the bass drum doubles, yes?
stunderthorm
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 04:09:28 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what it is. The whole thing is a 12/8 polyrhythmic pattern: the bassdrum is in 3/8 (sounding like a heartbeat) and the snare is in 4/8. Glad you find it interesting - let me know how it goes. Smiley
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »

Very very cool, Johannes.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
stunderthorm
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 08:19:58 AM »

My good friend, one of the most accomplished drum teachers I know, and great jazz drummer Chuck Ferrell has just launched a video podcast to encourage students to join his summer drum camps in Howard County Maryland:
http://web.mac.com/blacknight65/iWeb/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html
While this is geared towards beginners I still think many will appreciate the video (I like the "crazy 8s"). There is also a piece of rock music because that's what most kids are into. You can hear Chuck's funk and jazz drumming on guitar player's Damon Foreman's website on myspace.
Check it out! Hope you'll enjoy.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: