Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Beginner: I got a metronome... what now?? - Drum Solo Artist

October 23, 2018, 04:28:52 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Beginner: I got a metronome... what now??  (Read 14658 times)
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:53:46 PM »

I've found it very difficult to use while listening to music at the same time. So do I just play the beats without the music and eventually I'll get a good sense of timing encoded into my spine without having to use the metronome?
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 05:21:28 PM »

Is this while playing with a band, or just with play-along tracks?
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:15:04 PM »

A good plan(but not cheap sorry) is to buy an amplifier, but this only works if there is an imput jack on the metronome. If there is you can plug the metronome in to the amp and it makes it ten imes louder. My band teacher does it, and the amps are behind the drums. I swear it nearly took my head off.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »

Right now it's just play-along tracks, but I'll probably be in a band soon with a very good drummer who's interested in trying out guitar while I drum. I got an amplifier but there's no imput jack on the metronome.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 05:10:08 PM »

Right now it's just play-along tracks, but I'll probably be in a band soon with a very good drummer who's interested in trying out guitar while I drum. I got an amplifier but there's no imput jack on the metronome.
You shouldn't need a click track for play along tracks, because they should be in time anyway. Use a metronome for stick rudiments and general freestyle practicing. That should be enough to get tiimng lodged in your brain.

If you wanna have a click track while playing with a band, it would always be easier if the other players have got the same click playing in their ears (through head phones or a small ear piece) because if theirs a part of the song where you stop playing, the chance of a guitarist hitting exactly the same beat as your click track is slim, and then it gets very confusing  for you.
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 04:44:58 AM »

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I'm kinda stupid for thinking a metronome helps you with play-along tracks. I also don't get how the hell you can hear the click track if you play fast unless you have it jacked up to an amp. Right now I feel like the metronome might have been a waste of money.
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:54:54 PM »

they are not a waste of time or money.....however  they can be a pain in the ass though......

Smiley

I've been drumming for over 30 years and I still have a love/hate relationship with a click!

(as i'm sure a lot of you also do)

with the band, and like SMelly Granny said, with rudiments and freestyle practicing its A GREAT tool.

Smiley

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
wasted-years

wasted-years

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:39:15 PM »

love/hate thats  got to be the best explanation for a metronome
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:16:18 AM »

the friggin thing just makes me nuts dude!

but, It truly is a necessary evil!

Roll Eyes

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 10:11:57 AM »

the friggin thing just makes me nuts dude!

but, It truly is a necessary evil!

Roll Eyes
Haha! The click from Hell!  Cheesy

Yep, as painful as it might be, you must ultimately be the metronome.

Quote from: zunami
I also don't get how the hell you can hear the click track if you play fast unless you have it jacked up to an amp.
In a way, the plan is not to hear it. If your on time, you should be hitting things at exactly the same time as the click (if your doing that kind of tight beat).

Actually, ignore that, cos that does get confusing...
I suppose all you can do is have the metronome through sound excluding head phones (Vic Firth do a nice pair).

Or possibly a better idea, play quieter! Practice your dynamics as well as your timing!
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:11:44 PM »

Haha! The click from Hell!  Cheesy

Yep, as painful as it might be, you must ultimately be the metronome.
In a way, the plan is not to hear it. If your on time, you should be hitting things at exactly the same time as the click (if your doing that kind of tight beat).

Actually, ignore that, cos that does get confusing...
I suppose all you can do is have the metronome through sound excluding head phones (Vic Firth do a nice pair).

Or possibly a better idea, play quieter! Practice your dynamics as well as your timing!

lol I never thought about playing quieter. It's too logical to pop into my heavy-metal brain. I understand what you're saying with it not being supposed to heard if you time it exactly right, but I still can't hear it when I play out of time. If a metronome truly is supposed to be a pain in the ass, I suppose I'll use it even if I find it annoying and inefficient for my learning. I'll check out the Vic Firth metronome sometime, but I'm not just gonna throw the one I have now away.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 09:52:45 PM »

Metronomes aren't inefficient. They are the quickest thing we have to get timing into our heads. All you gotta do is remember that the job of a drummer is to be a metronome, but instead of just clicking, we click with style! Cool

Oh, and those Vic Firth things aren't metronomes, their headphones.

Clicky here

I was thinking you had a metronome with a headphone plug. If you haven't, you will probably find one useful.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 11:11:06 PM »

Those headphones are perfect to plug to a metronome, no matter how loud are you playing, you will always hear it! Cheesy Trust me, - I was THE loudest one when I was in school Cheesy, and still continue hitting Very hard. Cool

Actually, I had those headphones, with build in earphones long before Vic Firth has "invented"/released the product to the market! - Have pics to prove it Cheesy
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 01:18:26 PM »

Actually, I had those headphones, with build in earphones long before Vic Firth has "invented"/released the product to the market! - Have pics to prove it Cheesy
Yea, i made a pair by nicking some rifle ear defenders from my school and just wearing my in-ear headphones underneath!

Ok, i didn't nick them, i gave them back... but now you mention it, i might buy a pair from a army surplus shop i have near me.
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »

Oh I see, one of those things that makes you hear a beeping sound for a whole day. I'll consider it. Wink
Tommystix

Tommystix

Tommystix Rox in Texas!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »

YEAH MY COLLEGE TEACHER LIVED AND DIED BY THE 'NOME..
I had a hard time witha click track in the studio too.. a fellow drummer said I had "too much feel".. what??
that was like in the Mozart movie.. he had "too many notes"..

Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »

YEAH MY COLLEGE TEACHER LIVED AND DIED BY THE 'NOME..
I had a hard time witha click track in the studio too.. a fellow drummer said I had "too much feel".. what??
that was like in the Mozart movie.. he had "too many notes"..
too much feel? haven't heard that before!
JustGroove

JustGroove

simple and tasty

View Forum Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2007, 01:01:36 AM »

get some in ear monitors and blast it
play with the click for hours. u will reap many benefits.
PRACTICE PLAYING BEHIND THE CLICK!
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: