Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Where is our place in a band? - Drum Solo Artist

April 22, 2018, 12:58:13 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 
Author Topic: Where is our place in a band?  (Read 27179 times)
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« on: June 13, 2005, 02:08:31 PM »

Im not sure if this should have gone in the drum talk section or not but:

with alot of bands, and the one im in myself, i feel that drummers dont have much of a job in the band. Basicly, what we do is our choice in the song. I never have very much of an input into a song, except for the odd lyric.

Im good mates with everyone in the band, but when i comes down to music, It seems that the guitar is worshiped and the drums is just an extra that, from a guitarists point of veiw,   dosn't improve the music very much.

Is it just that guitarists look down on us, and all we are is a rhythm keeper with style?

PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 02:23:04 AM »

Agreed, but in my opinion it also depends on a drummer himself, as sometimes a drummer, just like any other musician in a band, can start a rhythm or combination of rhythms that will build the entire song! Wink
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 06:26:34 PM »

I understand that...but i feel its only drummers who see that.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 06:30:25 PM »

Well maybe it is a part of our job to make a difference in the subject?
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 06:35:15 PM »

Yay! something to aim for!....somethimes i think im a depressive when i dont think of changing something Cry

heeeres_mikey

Drums, can't live without them

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 09:19:21 PM »

If you listen to any good song with drums whether it is rock, jazz or watever and you took the drums away from it, the song just sounds bare with no force or rhythm to it, so i think if anyone should be looking down on some one it should be the drummer looking down on the guitarist Wink
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 05:57:30 AM »

If you listen to any good song with drums whether it is rock, jazz or watever and you took the drums away from it, the song just sounds bare with no force or rhythm to it...

That is exactly what I was saying when I wrote this: Roll Eyes

but in my opinion it also depends on a drummer himself, as sometimes a drummer, just like any other musician in a band, can start a rhythm or combination of rhythms that will build the entire song!
heeeres_mikey

Drums, can't live without them

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »

right ok lol sorry  Grin
Heelandtoe

Feel the power of the double bass....

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 05:35:51 PM »

yes but unless u have a noticable stlye of drumming- like Joey jordison or chad smith. Then if u were changed nobody wud notice. Therfore i think that ur position in a band is not seen as highly as the guitarists or vocals. I myself write dongs for my band and am the best drummer in my school so they have no choice but to have me Tongue and they are all useless at keeping in time without drums anyway.

Wake up, donnie
Mark

BANG!!CRASH!!WA LLOP!!

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 08:44:25 AM »

Your place in the band is wherever you want it to be.  You can sit back and just provide a beat with a few fills, or go hell for leather to change the dynamic of the song.

I personally don't write songs or lyrics (maybe the odd guitar or bass riff) but I come up with different beats and rhythms that the rest of the band can build on.  I am vocal when it comes to arrangements, song structures etc.  I also don't enjoy playing the same old beat to everything so try and work with the bass player to make it sound different.

It's about stamping your own identity onto the music you are playing.  When I joined my latest band I changed most of  the drum beats because they didn't suit me (or in some cases, the song), which in turn changed the bass player's way of thinking and on occasion, moved the song in a different direction.

I think what I'm trying to say is 'if you feel you don't have much of a job within a band, you are not working hard enough!'
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 12:19:47 AM »

I was just in a three piece blues band and well, yeh I had my spots where I was expected to compose something of sorts.  It helped beef or spice up the song a little where it was either needed or wanted.  Dynamics on the drummers part can have a strong influence on a musical piece.  I think we can pride ourselves in knowing that although the other band members do recognize our talents they do not recognize our dignity in not having to showpiece "All the time"  (like guitarists)Considering drummers are continually being poked fun at by other band members I would say that puts us a cut above.  

PS:  I have to admit I Like this one though;  What's a drummer without a girlfriend?

Homeless  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Cheers Diet's
Darkeagle22

I am Darkeagle....hear me....ummm....drum on stuff

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 04:58:07 PM »

Well...everything has basically been said already with regards to this subject but hey...I need to get my first post in somewhere...and this was the first thread I opened so...yeah....congratulations...to me....or something.  Our place in the band to ME is at the top.  People do indeed idolize the guitarists for some reason...but let's be honest...which is cooler....a guitar solo or a drum solo?  There is much more variety in sound with a drum set than there is with a guitar as well.  Yeah you can get a bunch of different notes with a guitar  but it's still just a bunch of string notes.  With a drum set you get the crisp sound of the cymbals (and there are even different cymbals!!  WHEEE!!), the deep thump of the kick drum, and you know the rest.  And what would a song be without a beat?  NOWHERE!!!!  IT WOULD JUST BE NOISE!!!  Well...maybe not...but you kinda see what I'm saying.  Alright...rambling over!!!!

PEACE AND PERCUSSION
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 06:05:05 PM »

Well...everything has basically been said already with regards to this subject but hey...I need to get my first post in somewhere...and this was the first thread I opened so...yeah....congratulations...to me....or something.  Our place in the band to ME is at the top.  People do indeed idolize the guitarists for some reason...but let's be honest...which is cooler....a guitar solo or a drum solo?  There is much more variety in sound with a drum set than there is with a guitar as well.  Yeah you can get a bunch of different notes with a guitar  but it's still just a bunch of string notes.  With a drum set you get the crisp sound of the cymbals (and there are even different cymbals!!  WHEEE!!), the deep thump of the kick drum, and you know the rest.  And what would a song be without a beat?  NOWHERE!!!!  IT WOULD JUST BE NOISE!!!  Well...maybe not...but you kinda see what I'm saying.  Alright...rambling over!!!!

PEACE AND PERCUSSION

haha, ok, as much as i would like to agree with you, i cant.

Comparing a drum kit to the guitar shouldnt really be done (if your a drummer anyway). I hate to say it, but its a lost battle to argue with a guitarist which is better.
I belive you need to be or have been a drummer to understand how the drums out-weigh other instuments, and you cant convince someone that unless they have experienced it (and enjoyed it) themselves, and it isnt about how much better they sound or anything, its the feeling the player gets.

Its late, and im finding it hard to get my head around this concept, so ill stop now before i start making mistakes in my theory. I might have a go at explaining it in the morning.
Darkeagle22

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 08:27:56 PM »

PEACE AND PERCUSSION

haha, ok, as much as i would like to agree with you, i cant.

Comparing a drum kit to the guitar shouldnt really be done (if your a drummer anyway). I hate to say it, but its a lost battle to argue with a guitarist which is better.
I belive you need to be or have been a drummer to understand how the drums out-weigh other instuments, and you cant convince someone that unless they have experienced it (and enjoyed it) themselves, and it isnt about how much better they sound or anything, its the feeling the player gets.

Its late, and im finding it hard to get my head around this concept, so ill stop now before i start making mistakes in my theory. I might have a go at explaining it in the morning.

BLAH BLAH BLAH JUST AGREE WITH ME ALREADY!!!
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 09:14:44 PM »

Haaaaaa, Haaaaaa. ha ha!  Hey that's funny.  Hell I'll agree with both of ya cause at any given moment either of you could be on the money.
Darkeagle22

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 10:43:46 PM »

Haaaaaa, Haaaaaa. ha ha!  Hey that's funny.  Hell I'll agree with both of ya cause at any given moment either of you could be on the money.

Well...in that case....you are my newest best friend....sorta......CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 09:24:05 PM »

What is it Homer says? Some kinda Yahooo and throw in a bit of jumping up and down in shear exceitment. Ok gotta run and tell the wife,  actually I have got a bass player and a guitarist coming any moment, yep it's just about 6:30 pm so cheers  peace out and all that.

Diet's
Darkeagle22

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2005, 12:26:46 AM »

What is it Homer says? Some kinda Yahooo and throw in a bit of jumping up and down in shear exceitment. Ok gotta run and tell the wife,  actually I have got a bass player and a guitarist coming any moment, yep it's just about 6:30 pm so cheers  peace out and all that.

Diet's

Speaking of diets...are you on one?  If so....how is it going for you fellow percussionist person man guy...I'm assuming?
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 01:49:18 AM »

The boys just left and I feel great. It looks like I got my lead guitarist back and looking for a compatable bass.  Anyway  I am actually thin as a rail.  Diet's is kind of a nickname more of a short form of Dieter my calling name.  It is pernounced Peter only with a D. But hey thanks for caring.

Diet's
Darkeagle22

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 12:43:23 AM »

The boys just left and I feel great. It looks like I got my lead guitarist back and looking for a compatable bass.  Anyway  I am actually thin as a rail.  Diet's is kind of a nickname more of a short form of Dieter my calling name.  It is pernounced Peter only with a D. But hey thanks for caring.

Diet's

Oh...well good for you...as for me...I am need to go on a diet...and QUICK!!!  I am still muscular but it's covered in so much fat that....oh well.  Maybe it's the whole eating pizza almost every night thing that does it.  IDK...MUST LOSE WEIGHT!!!
TAMA_MAN7A

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2005, 06:01:17 PM »

i am on both sides but more on the drums just for the fact we have more to do... with out te bass drum or all the drums there is no band.... i just got kicked out of a band and the guitarest was alsome. it was my first band. but when u think about it all the guitarest has to do is set there ajust move up and down the neck while the drummer is going ape shit behide the kit. what i am tring to say is that guitarest thave alot of notes and stuff to play but look at the drummer with all that stuff he has to hit... and its even harder to play double bass. i think people need to give us creadit for all the work we've done just tryin to get everything to bet on defferent notes
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 09:47:59 PM »

To ansewer Darkeagle22, or rather finish Yeh I am a guy and old at that 54.

And now to sorta respond to TAMA_MAN7A last post,  I think there are a # of things that come into play. no pun intended. Like who the other players are, the kind of music, where and who you play to and even how big the band is.  One thing I always do is play like I mean it, that way I least I know I am trying to make myself importantant.

Diet's
Darkeagle22

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 11:01:15 PM »

i am on both sides but more on the drums just for the fact we have more to do... with out te bass drum or all the drums there is no band.... i just got kicked out of a band and the guitarest was alsome. it was my first band. but when u think about it all the guitarest has to do is set there ajust move up and down the neck while the drummer is going ape shit behide the kit. what i am tring to say is that guitarest thave alot of notes and stuff to play but look at the drummer with all that stuff he has to hit... and its even harder to play double bass. i think people need to give us creadit for all the work we've done just tryin to get everything to bet on defferent notes

All I have to say to this is......PRECISELY!!!!
Diets

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2005, 01:07:53 PM »

So,   I ...guess everybody is real busy.  It has been a # of days and no discussions.  One thing ( actually there are many ) that I stuggle with is having to change tempo.  like having just finished a real fast high energy song were everybody is all out with one of those last forever endings ......and have to go to a slow almost brushes song.  I try to play with as much feel as possible ( I suck tech wise ) so it a hard switch.  Any ideas, "yoga, dancing girls " or perhaps some humorous storries or anything.
Darkeagle22

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 03:54:45 AM »

So,   I ...guess everybody is real busy.  It has been a # of days and no discussions.  One thing ( actually there are many ) that I stuggle with is having to change tempo.  like having just finished a real fast high energy song were everybody is all out with one of those last forever endings ......and have to go to a slow almost brushes song.  I try to play with as much feel as possible ( I suck tech wise ) so it a hard switch.  Any ideas, "yoga, dancing girls " or perhaps some humorous storries or anything.

OH SWEET!!!  YOGA DANCING GIRLS?!?!  GIVE ME THE LINK!!  I MUST SEE THEM....
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: