Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

How do you guys make Songs? - Drum Solo Artist

October 20, 2018, 08:19:46 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: How do you guys make Songs?  (Read 6899 times)
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« on: November 14, 2006, 03:20:32 PM »

Hey! How do you guys make your song with your band? Ive always been wondering what we do is i play a groove or they do then we play along and make tons of riffs and put them into a song but in the same key. Does anyone now how to play a riff and then go into another riff? We have alot of trouble with that hope you guys can help:)

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

When an untoppable force meets and unmovable object

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:08:58 PM »

Well thats a tiny question with a MASSIVE answer. For some bands it takes YEARS of practicing and improvising in any spare time they get. FOr some they just sit down and the drumer will hammer out something, and the guitars will just start messing around until they find some thing they think sounds good, and in time make that into a song. This is all depending on the musical and creativity skill of the musicians.
This is a TINY branch off of "how to write a song" and I dont want to go into any more detail on a count of im rfeally lazy. hope I helped a bit.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 06:55:14 PM »

heh, yea, drummer boy pretty much nailed it. It does take a lot of experience. Some of the greatest songs have been written in 5 minuets, yet some in 5 years.

In my band, the singer will just turn up the rehearsal with 10 new songs to play. He's worked out the guitar parts, got some of the bass in his head, and leaves me to the drums. It doesn't take him very long to write a song, and it wont take very song for  us to work out parts (but it takes me ages to remember the songs!).

My advice would be not to start with the guitar.

Think of a chorus, put a vocal melody to it. Think of a verse, put a vocal melody to it. Think up another verse with the same melody. If needed, put a bridge in it too.
Then pick up a guitar and put a guitar riff to them. Put Bass to them, Put drums to them, work out an instrumental, and structure the song something like this:

Instrumental Chorus (chorus with no words)
Verse 1
Bridge
Chorus
Verse 2
Bridge
Chorus
Instrumental (or variation on the chorus)
Chorus x3

Then you will have a simple song.

See, its easy.*

*possibly not true.
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 10:04:57 PM »

Again Smelly Granny, VERY helpful. But one more thing. If youre one of those guys that it takes em EVERY SINGLY fibre of their brain to think of  a song, NEVER EVER let yourself get depressed. And also dont compare yourself to any of the music gods just yet, because thats a mistake that my guitarist makes. He Gets himself down because he thinks he should be as good as Eric Clapton or Stevie Ray Vaughan already. So dont go on comparing yourself to Paul McCartney who gave himself an hour to work out every part in one of his songs(including violins and such) and did it.

Remember. If you limit yourself to only doubling with your leading hand... Then... You'll be limiting yourself to only doubling with your leading hand...
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:20:58 PM »

Indeed i agee 100%. We still dont now how to put everything into a pckage and link all the verses and all together, any suggestions? Smiley :-? Wink

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Little-Drummer-Boy

Little-Drummer-Boy

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 08:28:13 PM »

Well, to make it easy just do a one bar fill, to link each verse to the chorus. But it sounds bad if you do a different fill every time. So just find a fill you like and  stick with that.

RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »

Indeed i agee 100%. We still dont now how to put everything into a pckage and link all the verses and all together, any suggestions? Smiley :-? Wink

there is these things called "bridges" you should use them!
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:56:47 PM »

Sry Grin

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: