Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

Beginner: Should my 2 bass drums be the same kind? - Drum Solo Artist

April 19, 2018, 11:10:04 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: Beginner: Should my 2 bass drums be the same kind?  (Read 9095 times)
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« on: October 10, 2006, 12:52:49 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but how important is it to have 2 of the same bass drums?
The drum sets that come with a double bass are too expensive for me so I need to buy a separate bass drum. Does it sound awkward if they make different sounds? I would imagine it does when you play them simultaneously, but could it also be a good thing to have variety? To give an example, would a TAMA swingstar bass drum sound good with a TAMA superstar bass drum alongside it?
patafla
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:09:05 AM »

No, any combination of bassdrums will work for you at this point. However later on you will probably want a matched pair. A good double pedal will give you even sound and feel but they are probably expensive for you. This is all a question of attitude and frame of mind and you can learn to play double bass really well without spending a fortune. So for now keep it cheep and make it work for you. Smiley

The best thing is probably to try them out together. A lot of different bass drums will work as a pair.

if you buy a bass drum at a music shop, try and have them throw in a double bass instruction book in with the deal, that would really make the difference for you and give you lots of fun things to practice.

good luck!
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »

Thanks, your advice makes a lot of sense. Wink
I should first learn how to play double bass before worrying about the sound since I'm on a budget.
I was planning to order via internet and I think that's what I'll do. I can't make an on-the-spot judgement of how well the two complement each other. I'm gonna go with the TAMA Superstar and buy an additional Tama Swingstar bass ($140 cheaper than Superstar bass). I'm assuming that they'll sound very similar because they're the same brand, am I right? Like it's probably safer to have two of the same brand? :-?
patafla
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 07:10:22 PM »

No but of cource you will want great sound. The drum you are going to buy is made out of mahogany and the one you allready have is made out birch which is a really nice wood for making musical instruments. You can work on tuning and muffling and the feet do get used to some difference between the drums. Its impossible for me to say how it will work, but it willprobably be ok. + it will look great:)
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 09:01:50 PM »

why not get a double bass pedal for $100 US dallers (sorry I don't know the change rate for other contries)?or are you just looking for the 2 bass drum look?
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 11:24:26 PM »

why not get a double bass pedal for $100 US dallers (sorry I don't know the change rate for other contries)?or are you just looking for the 2 bass drum look?
Well I just thought another bass drum was worth investing in... but thanks I should consider the pedal too.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 03:29:10 PM »

In my opinion, i think a double pedal is definetly a better idea. For these simple reasons:

1.     2 dissimilar bass drums will sound weird. Double bass is meant to be a like a constant snare roll, but on a bass drum, and you will get 2 different sounds from drums made out of 2 different woods. (but experimenting with different sounds could be interesting)

2.     If your gonna invest in something expensive, dont waste it on something not perfect.

3.     You cant use double bass yet, and you will not get anything more out of learning on 2 drums rather than 1 drum and a double pedal.

4.     Anouther bass drum is yet something else you have to move around when gigging!

5.     Buy a double bass pedal, and spend the rest on sticks. You'll get a lot more for your money.

Just some thoughts... Roll Eyes
patafla
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 05:36:19 PM »

I have to agree, the double pedal is better for you. Get yourself a Pear Eliminator, you wont regret it!!!
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 01:49:49 PM »

Ok, you and my friend have me convinced. I'll go with the double pedal. That way I can buy more expensive cymbals. So with the double pedal, is it too risky to go with the cheapest one I found on this page: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/drums_percussion/navigation?page=1&N=100005&Ntk=GCAll&Ntt=double%2Bpedal&Nty=1&Ns=P_Price%7C0&x=14&y=17

My friend said I should take the $159.99(DW) or $169.99(Pearl) one. He also said Gene Hoglan uses a double pedal that's less than $100, but doesn't know what it is.
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 03:23:01 PM »

The only pedal thats $159 there is the DW 4002p if thats what you meant.

The two makes are very close in quality, but i belive you will get more function and adjustibility with the pearl pedal. I havnt tryed the DW, so i cant comment on that, but its just an assumption.

Good luck Smiley
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 05:33:06 PM »

I havnt tryed the DW, so i cant comment on that, but its just an assumption.

Good luck Smiley

the dw one.....link

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_pacific_drums_by_dw_dp402_double_bass_drum_pedal?full_sku=100991934

is good some people don't like it, but for me it gets the job done. the left pedal moves on me but with a rug or something should stop that.
zunami

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2006, 06:21:46 PM »

Yea the DW 4002p one is what I meant. Some of them said Pacific Drums by DW so that threw me off. I'll take the Pearl one since it's the best selling double pedal on the site and it didn't get any subpar reviews. Thanks for all the help guys. With the DP402, the very last customer review with the headline DONT DO IT !! turned me and my friend away from the product.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: