Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

So How Old? - Drum Solo Artist

December 11, 2018, 02:21:01 PM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 
Author Topic: So How Old?  (Read 22321 times)
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2006, 01:36:41 PM »

So how old do you have to be to play drums does it mean your better if you start eearlier? Tel me when you started and owold you are now and how good

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

he who dies with the most percussion toys - wins!

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:06:22 PM »

how old do you need to be? if you can hyold sticks and hit the drums, then i think you can start at 2 yrs old..... Grin

i'm 43. I started taking private lessons at like 8 yrs old.

how good am I?

i'm a legend in my own mind.

Cheesy

DW Acoustics, Roland TD-20 & SPD-S, etc,etc
:-)
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 01:00:54 PM »

I bet! Grin  Just beacuse this is my first year of drums and i just want to now that if i started at 7 would i be better than i was if i was 12.... lol i dont now how a 2 year old can evn understand the drums but ive seen em!

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Beverley_Drummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »

I would probably say the best time to start drumming would be 11 years old and over. I started around that time, and I've learned a lot and still have tons to learn. I don't think it really matters when you start. Its never too late  Smiley. I also believe most children have a short attention span, and it will most likely take a longer time to learn things. Thats why I don't think you should start drumming at a really young age. There are some exceptions though! Tongue
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 04:26:34 AM »

I have quite a weird story behind my drumming.

When i was about 5, my parents got me a kit. I never played on it properly, but used to just hit things cos they sounded cool. I had it untill i was 7, when my parents got so anoyed with the noise, and got me an electric one, which soon after got stolen from our house.
I didnt touch a kit untill i was 13, when a band was having a first rehersal, and had a drummer that had only played for a few months. He couldnt hold a beat. So as i was there, i decided to have a go and i could play better than the other guy (im not saying i was great....i could just hold a beat)

Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 10:43:54 AM »

LOl ya i would say thats odd :-? Are you still in a band?

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 12:46:44 PM »

nah...not as a kit drummer. Ive been meaning to put an advert in the local studio for a while...never really got round to it.

I am in a samba band tho. Awsome that is. Im on a snare. Its really good for my playing because often you can play the same pattern for 15 minuets without stopping, and these patterns can include doubles triples, and parts of parradiddles. It really works your musels, and teaches you time, forces you to do quick rudiments, teches you dynamics and gets you used to playing at fast speeds.

I recommend you sign up to your local band now!
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:43:53 PM »

Way ahead of ya Granny lol Grin I did that a couple months ago so im set to go i now what you mean im hoping to learn some more snare rudiments when i go....

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 03:11:07 PM »

Way ahead of ya Granny lol Grin I did that a couple months ago so im set to go i now what you mean im hoping to learn some more snare rudiments when i go....

Awsome! I recomend everyone else to join then!
RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 04:43:43 PM »

I live in Oklahoma..I don't think they know what that band thing is.....    Cry

luckly they know what a rock band is but... ahh... no one is musically (spell?) good that is close to me. so in other words no band for me.    Cry

as for the the age part, i started when i was 12-13 and now i'm 17 almost 18 in like 17 days.

Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 08:02:22 PM »

Oh cool thats sucks about the band if you can try to hook up with one i found it was alot more fun playing with a band. 12-13 cool! Lol tell us when you birthday is we all have a compliment here! [smiley=birthdays.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
The_Masked_Avenger

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 07:56:34 PM »

Hey , I started when I was 13 . I don`t think age matters at all , my friend (same age) started to play drums at age 8 , and me and him were around the same skill within 1 year . Now I'm 16 .. I'm alright .. Its hard to rank yourself ..       :-/  
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 08:01:16 PM »

Thanks for you oppinon man!:)

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 11:24:38 PM »

I think age does not matter...

Mozart was 5 when he performed his first simphony... Wink
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »

LOl Mozart ....one of a kind! Grin

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 09:02:42 AM »

back in the day.....

and by the sound of how old a lot of you dudes are, probably before you were born, anyway...

they (who they are, i'm not sure) used to come around your grade school (elementary school) around the third grade recruiting for the band program,....I used to watch this show on TV (yeah smart ass, they had TV back then Grin), anyway, I used to watch 'F-Troop', so I wanted to play the Bugel. The music dude says, we have the Coronet, but not a Bugel, ok, so I try it and it doesn't work out....cool!

Back then, if you weren't any good at a wind instrument, you were put in the drum section.

thank God for that!
 Smiley

Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2006, 12:56:16 PM »

back in the day.....

and by the sound of how old a lot of you dudes are, probably before you were born, anyway...

they (who they are, i'm not sure) used to come around your grade school (elementary school) around the third grade recruiting for the band program,....I used to watch this show on TV (yeah smart ass, they had TV back then Grin), anyway, I used to watch 'F-Troop', so I wanted to play the Bugel. The music dude says, we have the Coronet, but not a Bugel, ok, so I try it and it doesn't work out....cool!

Back then, if you weren't any good at a wind instrument, you were put in the drum section.

thank God for that!
 Smiley

Thats in one way, good, but it seems to me that back then, the drum section was the trash can for anyone without talent for the other instruments. hmmm. Sorry to point out what isnt nice to hear... Tongue

But we all no that drummers have way more talent than anyone else...especially guitarists
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2006, 05:02:04 PM »

actually, the guy told me that I did not have the correct  'ombesher' (or however it is spelled) to play a wind instrument like the Coronet (and I wasn't going for a clarinet or whatever).....

I guess I was trying to make a funny on the last post (excuse me)

RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 05:08:20 PM »

when I was in the school band i had and still have ashma(spelling?) so wind instrument were out of the question. but they need tuba players more than drummers. so i played tuba for like two years hope a drummer would quit and i could do what i want. that did not happen so I quit band.
Eric

Never trust a grizzly bear.

View Forum Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006, 05:39:11 PM »

I'm sixteen. I've been playing since I was ten. I'm pretty good now, but I sucked for about the first four years. I've gotten a lot more serious about drums over the past two years and I've gained a lot of confidence. I'm in a few bands now and I'm getting better every day.

We all used to make fun of Timothy. I think that's why he shot some of us.
gmbydmit

gmbydmit

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2006, 11:07:02 PM »

stay with it, dude!
keep practicing and playing as much as you can.

I'm 44 and still learn new drum and percussion stuff all the time.

I try to play every day, no matter what.

I love it.
and i'm pretty sure i'm on the way to going deaf (so protect your hearing) and i'm also pretty sure that i'm tettering on insanity also....

muuaaahhhhh!!!!!
 Grin

RaginDrummer

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2006, 10:33:06 PM »

luckly they know what a rock band is but... ahh... no one is musically (spell?) good that is close to me. so in other words no band for me.    Cry  

hey i found a guitarist. thats pretty cool. just an undate, sorry i have not post in a long time
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2006, 02:29:35 PM »

hey i found a guitarist. thats pretty cool. just an undate, sorry i have not post in a long time

Sweet! nice one. you keep us posted on how that goes Smiley
Rogal

Rogal

View Forum Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2006, 06:14:09 AM »

Well I'm 31, started playing 3 months ago.  I'm in a 4pc rock band now at the moment called Outlawed Souls *shameless plug* I had no imput into the band name as I joined at a later date & to be honest I think the name is horrible but it's playing the music that's important.
I used to play Bass Guitar but the guys were stuck for a drummer and I stepped up.  I'm told by the guys in those 3 months I've impoved immensely.  Y'know other musicians will always tell you straight out if you're improving or not.
I think being a former Bassist gives me a good insight into what the Bass player is thinking.
I'm also told my timing is "like a metronome" aparently prefect.

31 is old to start playing drums from what I've read here but I learn fast & I don't think I'll ever go back to Bass.  8-)
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2006, 06:33:06 AM »

Well I'm 31, started playing 3 months ago.  I'm in a 4pc rock band now at the moment called Outlawed Souls *shameless plug* I had no imput into the band name as I joined at a later date & to be honest I think the name is horrible but it's playing the music that's important.
I used to play Bass Guitar but the guys were stuck for a drummer and I stepped up.  I'm told by the guys in those 3 months I've impoved immensely.  Y'know other musicians will always tell you straight out if you're improving or not.
I think being a former Bassist gives me a good insight into what the Bass player is thinking.
I'm also told my timing is "like a metronome" aparently prefect.

31 is old to start playing drums from what I've read here but I learn fast & I don't think I'll ever go back to Bass.  8-)

Heya! welcome!
I can imagine a ex bass player turned drummer would be very good. The Bass player and drummer needs to understand each other, so you've got just what a bass player would want. Now you just gotta find a Bass player that used to be a drummer! lol

And dont think 31 is too old. Everyone is different. Recently i read of a professional drummer that has only been playing 10 years, and in his late 30's is doing drum clinics. Belive in yourself, and dont listen to people if they doubt you.
Pages: [1] 2
 Print 

Jump to: