Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

50 Most Important Drummers ( DRUM Magazine ) - Drum Solo Artist

July 22, 2018, 04:27:50 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: 50 Most Important Drummers ( DRUM Magazine )  (Read 12971 times)
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:21 AM »

Let the debates begin!  Wink In no particular order

1-Tim Alexander    11-Dennis Chambers  21-Dave Grohl        31-Shelly Manne         41-Max Roach
2-Ginger Baker      12-Kenny Clarke        22-Roger Hawkins   32-Mitch Mitchell         42-Michael Shrieve
3-Carlton Barrett   13-Billy Cobham         23-Roy Haynes       33-Zigaboo Modeliste  43-John "Jabo" Starks
4-Louis Bellson      14-Vinnie Colaiuta      24-Nicky Headon     34-Keith Moon            44-Ringo Starr
5-Fred Below         15-Stewart Copeland  25-Al Jackson Jr      35-Joe Morello            45-Clyde Stubblefield
6-Hal Blaine          16-Jack DeJohnette    26-Elvin Jones         36-Sandy Nelson         46-Mel Taylor
7-Art Blakey          17-Baby Dodds         27-Jo Jones             37-Earl Palmer            47-Lars Ulrich
8-John Bonham     18-Peter Erskine        28-Philly Joe Jones   38-Neil Peart               48-Chick Webb
9-Terry Bozzi        19-Steve Gadd          29-Jim Keltner          39-Bernard Purdie      49-J.M. Van Eaton
10-Bill Bruford      20-David Garibaldi     30-Gene Krupa         40-Buddy Rich            50-Tony Williams

Agree or disagree, these drummers have left a mark somewhere in music or in other drummers lives. I also hope that if some of you out there do not recognize some of these names, you will search them and see exactly what there contribution to drumming was all about.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:03 PM »

I see a lot of names that I would include on my own list. Then there are six that I would pull off and substitute other names that are more important to me personally.  I would like to know the criteria for the DRUM Magazine list. 

I seems, without knowing the criteria, that the magazine editors tried to cover a variety of genres and perhaps even recognize some drummers who haven't received a great deal of "drum magazine" coverage in the past. There are some on the list who don't astound us with their solo ability (at least on the recordings we are familiar with), yet they were the solid foundation of some very popular and influencial bands.

Whether a studio drummer, Rock, Pop, Metal, Blues, Funk, Latin, Big Band, Jazz, Fusion or Country.....there are some on the DRUM Magazine list.  The educator/teacher/authors are not.  Perhaps Haskell Harr, Jim Chapin and Roy Burns are on your list of important drummers if you studied their books, back before modern videos came along.

I thougth about what "most important drummers" meant to me. For me it means those who directly influenced the way I play drums.

I am making my own list of just the top ten most influencial drummers in my life.
Those ten, in no particular order, who most influence my playing are:

Jeff Porcaro
Hal Blaine
Clyde Stubblefield
David Garibaldi
John Guerin
Ron Tutt
Ginger Baker
Larrie Londin
Carl Palmer
Bobby Colomby

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
vista1868

vista1868

www.myspace.com/rowedda

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04:14 PM »

Ken, I would like to say kudos on Ron Tutt because that's a name I don't hear alot in my drum circles. A name that I might add to the list for influence is Michael Derosier of the original Heart lineup, but that is personal taste only. I would certainly dump a couple that may have started the trend, but their drumming skills left a little, ok alot, to be desired.
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »

Ron Tutt was instrumental into the reinvention of Elvis in the 70's and the success of the Las Vegas Show that propelled the new act to rival the heyday of Frank Sinatra's Las Vegas success.

Ron is living in Nashville now and he provides that same kind of energy to the Neil Diamond live show. 

Here's an old solo from the Elvis in Las Vegas show.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/68SmiKWYDRk&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/68SmiKWYDRk&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
brucegunn

brucegunn

View Forum Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 06:27:12 PM »

I would like to throw in Matt Abts of Gov't Mule. I have never seen a better groove drummer. Matt knows how to play in the pocket. Playing in "jam band" like Gov't Mule it is very important for the drummer to "wrangle" in the other players when they get carried away. I would also like to throw Fred LeBlanc of Cowboy Mouth into the mix for his all around persona. Although Fred isn't one of the greatest drummers around, he has done something that few of us have even attempted. His drum set is at the front of the stage. He is the lead singer, the band spokesman, the talker indeed he IS the show. Sure there have ben many great drummer/singers (Don Brewer, Don Henly,Phil Collins etc..) but none like Fred. He controls everything INCLUDING the audience. If you don't know what I'm talking about then watch this.... 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8mm0KFOq9ag&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8mm0KFOq9ag&amp;ap=%2526fmt%3D18&amp;rel=0</a>
KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 03:52:14 PM »

Hey VISTA

I ran across this link on Michael Derosier and thought you might like it.  Heart lost a lot of soul when he departed.  Sad

http://www.dognbutterfly.com/david_pimentel_as_michael_derosier.html

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Johnathan
Drum Solo Artist Trusted

Johnathan

Music Calms the Tormented Beast

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »

NICE!!!!!!!

I would like to throw in Matt Abts of Gov't Mule. I have never seen a better groove drummer. Matt knows how to play in the pocket. Playing in "jam band" like Gov't Mule it is very important for the drummer to "wrangle" in the other players when they get carried away. I would also like to throw Fred LeBlanc of Cowboy Mouth into the mix for his all around persona. Although Fred isn't one of the greatest drummers around, he has done something that few of us have even attempted. His drum set is at the front of the stage. He is the lead singer, the band spokesman, the talker indeed he IS the show. Sure there have ben many great drummer/singers (Don Brewer, Don Henly,Phil Collins etc..) but none like Fred. He controls everything INCLUDING the audience. If you don't know what I'm talking about then watch this....  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mm0KFOq9ag

lucas

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:24:19 PM »

Top 10 influence in my life. No particular order:
1. Ringo Starr
2. Bonzo Bonham
3. Ginger Baker
4. Stewart Copeland, probably No1.
5. Ian Paice
6. Bill Brufford
7. Mitch Mitchel
8. Kieth Moon
9. Clive Bunker
10. Geoff Pocaro.

Not the best, whatever that may be, just drummers that I like to listen to and have influenced me a great deal.

KenSanders
Global Moderator

KenSanders

IBJAMN in Nashville

View Forum Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:56 PM »

You know I looked back at my list of the TEN guys that have had listed as the drummers who had the most influenced the way I play drums, and I wondered if everyone understood what I meant. 

I meant this.....obviously drummers like Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Bonzo, Ringo, Charlie Watts, Hal Blaine, Neil Peart are not on my "ten" list.  Are they great drummers?  Absolutely.  However, when you hear me play you won't hear much of their influences in my playing.

You will hear the DIRECT INFLUENCES from the drummers I listed.  Why?  Because those drummers are the guys I studied to develop the style of playing I needed to do the show/funk/fusion work that I perform. 

I'll use Buddy Rich as an example.  I never get calls to do Buddy Rich style drumming.......doesn't mean that I don't admire him......it just means I've never been paid to play Buddy Rich style drum parts.

Jeff Porcoaro was the guy that brought that to my attention. He observed that we seriously study guys that are play the styles of music we want to do.  I agree that we do that and then we cook up our own tasty stew by mixing things from their  original recipies.   Wink

Ken Sanders
IBJAMN in Nashvile, TN
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: