Welcome, Please login or register.
Drum Solo Artist Logo

IM a Beginner - Drum Solo Artist

January 22, 2018, 11:05:57 AM*
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

- Drum Related Ads
Pages: [1]
 Print 
Author Topic: IM a Beginner  (Read 9934 times)
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« on: March 25, 2006, 06:47:23 PM »

Can someone tell me how to play drums i play with my brother hes got and electric guitar and so i need all the basics on hot to play,please help me if you can and ill be happy to be in these forums Smiley

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Smelly_granny

I'll hit you with my rhythm stick

View Forum Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 07:28:07 PM »

hehe, you want to be told how to play drums?
I could write a libery on how to play, but i cant assure you that you will learn anything from it.

Have a look at this video:
<a href="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=7706942941309183434" target="_blank">http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=7706942941309183434</a>

Its not the best teaching video ive seen, but it certainly covers the basics that you should find usefull. It should also tell you the basics better that i could, typing it all out.

The guy does run everything past quite fast, so dont get put off if you cant grasp everything at the speed he tells you stuff. It will take a long time untill you can do the stuff that he does at the end of the video.

Hope that helps, and we'll be more than happy for you to stay on these forums  Smiley
speed_demon

pick, sticks and drum..dont get strings and strum

View Forum Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:49:20 AM »

I agree, you won't pick up everything right away, also i think its really hard to teach drumming to someone, because after you learn the basics, i think you kinda take it from there.............i havent had a teacher other than my band teacher, since i learned what a flam was, i just listened to everything i heard music wise, and practiced till i learned how to play it, then i would start to make-up my own stuff.
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:21:31 PM »

I agree, you won't pick up everything right away, also i think its really hard to teach drumming to someone, because after you learn the basics, i think you kinda take it from there.............i havent had a teacher other than my band teacher, since i learned what a flam was, i just listened to everything i heard music wise, and practiced till i learned how to play it, then i would start to make-up my own stuff.

Yea, thats something i didnt point out, listening to music. Once you get the basics, and can handle the simple beats, listen to the drums in other music, and try to copy the beats in them. This is quite essential if your gonna teach yourself, because its your main source of new beats.
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 04:01:47 PM »

Thanks for all your help ive learned all the simple beats and i can play them! You now what? Cheesy I have been on alot of forums and i gotta say this is the best one your so nice! Smiley i can read tabs (almost) just for the into i dont get and the flam,drag,and ghost note can you help me on those? thanks by the way

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
Smelly_granny

View Forum Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »

Nice, and well done.

I wont be able to help you on the flam, drag and ghost cos ive only just started plying them from tabs myself. I know whet they are tho.

A flam is where you have one stick 2 inches from a drum, and the other stick 12 inches from the same drum. You then drop the sticks at the same time, and at the same speed. One stick hits the drum, and the other hits a moment after.

A drag is one stroke of an open stroke roll. You just lift your 3 supporting fingers off the stick, and use your wrist and thumb and forefinger to press down and keep the stick bouncing on the head untill it dies out. The idea is to keep the stick bouncing for as long as possible (never really longer than a second).

A ghost stroke i'm not sure about. I think its like a rest, where you dont hit a drum....you like, hit your leg or the air or something...just something that makes no sound. Thats probably wrong, but its my best shot at it.

But they are quite advanced stuff for a beginner. I wouldnt expect an early learner to know how to do them. But sure, go ahead and give them a crack.
PASHA
Forum Administrator
Gold Member

PASHA

View Forum Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 05:11:06 PM »

Thanks to all the users for submitting the articles to the Drum Wiki section, so now you can just search the site for STROKE to see all the different drum stroke variations!!!

Here is the direct link:

http://www.drumsoloartist.com/cgi-bin/searchit/search.pl?Terms=stroke
iamanidiot32180

iamanidiot32180

KAEOLYN

View Forum Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 09:09:45 AM »

i think either you can play or you cant.  i know a girl that did pick right up on drums.  3 weeks ago.  shes already better than another drummer i know that has been playing for about 10 years. either you got it or you dont, but dont stop trying. ever! (the world needs more drummers at all levels.)
Bass_Drum

Drum Forum Rules !

View Forum Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 09:54:15 AM »

HOW DID SHE GET SO GOOD! Im taking lessons now but im bored!!!! I now everything hes teaching me and its so easy and its no fun to practise i need somthing good can someone please tell me some fun beats to play:) thx and your right the world nedds drummers and ive got a band they now how to play the basist and gitarist but i dont Cry

Check out my webstie!!

www.myspace.com/attickid
_godfather_

Buddy Rich vs Wolverine

View Forum Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 07:25:50 AM »

i think either you can play or you cant.  i know a girl that did pick right up on drums.  3 weeks ago.  shes already better than another drummer i know that has been playing for about 10 years. either you got it or you dont, but dont stop trying. ever! (the world needs more drummers at all levels.)

10 years >> 3 weeks. Even a paralyzed dummie could play better if he was studyin' drums for 10 years...
Well, miracles happen ! ! ! !

iamanidiot32180

iamanidiot32180

KAEOLYN

View Forum Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »

shes was doing basic beats, keeping time, doing (basic) fills (without screwing them up) and singing after one week (she was a singer before)... she knows her limits as a drummer.  he on the other hand tries way too much.  hes has heard me play alot of times, and whenever i hear him play, i hear things that i do, only in the worst screwed up way possible.  she is very musical (singing, guitar, bass, drums....) and knows what is too much for her to try.
Pages: [1]
 Print 

Jump to: